Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Differences goodtime two and the sierra

Do you hear big differences? Once played with the Goodtime two, and once with the Sierra. Please be critical so that I can learn something :slight_smile: Both times were micro-recorded with the smartphone… Hope you enjoy…

9 Likes

I could easily hear the difference- the Goodtime was kind of mellow and the Sierra was nice and crisp and clean. I have played both, and the difference is amazing.

3 Likes

i love the sierra to play … if i don’t play with the goodtime for a long time i forget how it sounds … but i almost only take the sierra … :blush:

3 Likes

Not a banjo player myself but a good post. If I was seeking out the sound of a Banjo I would prefer the Sierra sound. Bit of a loose word I know but it jangles.

3 Likes

The Sierra has a much fuller tone. IMHO @Severin

4 Likes

Either way, I enjoyed the music! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you John! :blush:

4 Likes

Nice picking! I agree with the other comments, but I’ll add, the goodtime sounds like a budget banjo (tone hoop instead of ring) and the Sierra sounds like a “real banjo” (full tone ring)

4 Likes

Thank you Gunnar! you’re right…

2 Likes

Goodtime two has no tone ring or tone hoop.
The Sierra has a tone ring, dual coordinator rods, truss rod, finger board, pearl inlays, planetary tuners, one piece flange, and sturdy armrest.
The Goodtime lacks all those things. But it sounds pretty good considering.

5 Likes

They both sound good, but the Sierra has the better sound to me, and for good reason!
Good pickin’

4 Likes

Both videos had some nice pickin! :grin: I like the tone of the Sierra the best! It’s definitely a stronger projecting banjo. In a multiple instrument situation, the goodtime would get drowned out, even if played hard, but the Sierra would be heard. I dont play banjo, but I’ve seen it happen - frequently (my son’s a banjo picker).

4 Likes

Thank you Simone!

3 Likes

i think the goodtime sounds better than it should maybe … but the sierra is just a dream!

3 Likes

Nice pickin! I agree with all the above in general. One technical thing that I’d point out between the two… in the first video the picking hand is about 1-2 inches from the edge of the head. In the 2nd one the picking hand looks to be about twice as far away from the edge (closer to the bridge). In my experience, that makes a pretty significant tone change even on the same banjo. (crisper the closer you get to the bridge).

7 Likes

Thank you Scott! yes you are right … i like it better to play closer to the bridge, but it is a little more difficult … but that’s right the same banjo can sound very different. but generally I think the Sierra has the better tone. The goodtime sounds like it has a sock in the mouth … :laughing: or in swissgerman: S Goodtime tönt so als hetts än Söcke ide Schnurre :joy:

3 Likes

Looks like Scott beat me to the comment by 28 minutes. Picking hand is very close to the neck on the GoodTime, so it’s not a very fair comparison. I bet if the hand placement were reversed, some folks might think the GoodTime sounded better.

Nice picking, by the way.

6 Likes

Thank you Mark! you’re absolutely right i should play it in the same place …

3 Likes