Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Did anyone video Russ?

Did anyone happen to video the backup example he and Katy did at the all banjo camp when he was there Thursday? Doug was videoing some of the lesson, but it looks like he didn’t get that example. I’d love to tab it out for those interested.

10 Likes

Hi @Mark_Rocka Interesting that you asked about Russ’ Backup. Ricky Mier just posted a video on the BHO attempting to analyse Russ’ Backup . He seems to do quite a good job but I am not so sure his online TAB is 100% accurate and it’s not so easy to read… I asked Rick where he got Russ’ Video as I couldn’t find it online and it seems it’s on Russ’ Instagram page. Since I don’t do social media I can’t access it. It would be great if Russ added this to his YouTube channel. It’s brilliant to watch but the video is cut short. I don’t have Russ’ email or I would ask him if he wouldn’t mind making it available to all.

6 Likes

Doug sent that to me a couple of days ago. Unfortunately this isn’t the type of backup we were studying. It’s quality stuff, but we were doing all closed positions and Russ was literally all over the neck the whole time. It was incredible to watch because Katy had literally just taught us how to do the things Russ showed us. For the first time ever, what he was doing made sense to me.

11 Likes

What he was doing was actually quite simple he was just jumping from different positions and then little walk ups and walk downs. I have a video from the other first April camp. I’ll post it tomorrow if you want.

7 Likes

I’d love to see that @Mark_Rocka So I really hope a video surfaces

2 Likes

Exactly! After learning what Katy taught, everything Russ was doing made perfect sense.

4 Likes

Does anyone have his email address?

Looks like Ben posted it on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/banjobenclark/posts/10120210619373644?comment_id=10120230216126594&notif_id=1619179158730159&notif_t=comment_mention&ref=notif

4 Likes

Hi @Mark_Rocka is there enough there to help you reconstruct some backup TAB ? Are you happy to share it ?

2 Likes

There is, and that is my goal. It’s just finding the time to do it. That’s going to be a several hour investment. I really want to get it done, though.

4 Likes

It’s just vamping over the chords with some licks and basic rolls. I think Ben has already taught everything Russ is doing there.

Check out this video with Russ’ headcam POV:

And here’s a video of Jim Britton doing some similar stuff (backup starts at 0:35):

4 Likes

It’s vamping, yes, but I’m more interested in the slides, walk ups, walk downs, and the variety of backups being used.

My goal is not to copy what Russ did, but to learn WHY he did it so I can apply it to any song. Tabbing this out will give me a good starting point.

What was really cool about this is that Katy had just finished teaching the group how to go about doing everything that Russ did in that video, so watching the application of the lesson was exciting.

5 Likes

Hi @Michael_Mark I hear what you say but as @Mark_Rocka says it’s more interesting when embellishments are added and when you have a better understanding of how backup works.

You have a particular talent for observing these things but not everyone has that skill to play it straight off the bat. As students anything we can do to help others here should be encouraged like the video I posted early with Ricky trying to explain what Russ is doing in that rolling backup clip.

Ricky makes a good attempt to explain what Russ is doing but I don’t think his TAB is 100% . I’d love to see the original clip that Ricky uses because simple as it may seem there is a lot going on and once explained my backup would improve ten fold for sure.

4 Likes