Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Diane Murphy from Oceanside, California!

What was it that first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
Started playing the banjo when I was a kid. Just fascinated me. What a cool instrument. Back into playing In my 50’s. Loving it.

How long have you been playing and what’s your motivation to play?
playing since my teenage years. Playing the banjo is simply fun. Wonderful , relaxing, just as great as meditation! Cathartic.

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
All Ben’s basic roll exercises, foggy mtn exercises, minor study up and down the neck. Simply , any beginner player must learn and great warm up for intermediate player. Loosen up those pick fingers.

What’s your goal when playing?
Increase accuracy, back up play, learn new tunes…jam!

Are there any other instruments or genres of music that you enjoy playing?
Yes! I just purchased a mandolin from Ben’s Store. Learning this now! Guitar, also use all the guitar lessons on site.

How long have you been a Gold Pick member?
My second year.

Do you have a favorite technique? What is it?
Three finger picking, bluegrass. Scruggs style. Love melodic as well.

If you could play in anyone’s band, who would it be and why?
I would love to Jam with Steve Martin, can’t imagine that. Bella Fleck would be amazing. He plays every style, love the melodic. Want to learn more melodic. Let’s not leave out jamming with Ben.

What type of gear or accessories have you found that work best for you?
National picks. Ben’s mute.

If money was no object, what would be your dream instrument(s)?
I would upgrade my Huber. My entry grade Huber is amazing, but I would love to have the higher end style. Love my Huber. Huber ROCKS!!!

If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
Play more music, lol.

Thanks for letting us feature you!!! @murphrn62

14 Likes

Congratulations @murphrn62 on GPotW honors!

I liked your profile and enjoyed the idea of your favorite artist to play with being Steve Martin. I had never considered that before but it is a great choice. Undoubtedly, it would be both fun and enriching!

Oh… and I have to tell you the pic is amazing but does bring a chill to me. :smile::snowflake::cold_face:

I will enjoy seeing it in mid-July! :+1:

1 Like

Congrats Diane on receiving the Gold Pick Member of the Week ! Like you, I’m getting back into playing after way too many years working. Being a Gold Pick member has accelerated my progress on so many levels and I’m glad to see you’re discovering the same thing.

Happy Picking!

2 Likes

Hi Diane, Congrats on being selected as this weeks Gold Pick Member. Goodness I didn’t think it snowed in California. All I ever saw on my month long trip there back in the 80’s was wall to wall sunshine. That’s strictly not true. Whilst we were in Moraga Oakland on the Bay Side the fog rolled in on our third day. We spent a week there, then San Francisco, for a week L.A. & San Diego with a day trip to Tijjuana

It was an amazing experience, one I’ll forever treasureboat1

3 Likes

Lots of snow …San Bernardino Mtns.

4 Likes

Fun to be posted, CA Mtns are the best. Lots of jamming up there. Getting snowed in allows for more time on Banjo Bens website. :grin:

4 Likes

Congrats on being the gpotw @murphrn62!
Love the photo, and the answers to the interview questions. I agree with @WillCoop, I never would have thought about Steve Martin either, but I would love to hang out with him and his banjo too!

3 Likes

This alone is one of the best reasons for getting snowed in that I can think of… and yup, it snowed again today here! :cold_face:

Welcome and congrats, Diane!

1 Like

Congrats on the feature!

1 Like

Congratulations!!! Good ole Oceanside, :sunglasses: My kids & grand kids still there.
Happy pickin!

1 Like

Congrats, Dianne! Me and my wife live in Wilmington, NC, directly opposite of California. You’re in Allison Brown Country. She taught Josh Williams, Rhonda Vincent’s lead guitarist, banjo, if I remember correctly. Both are excellent banjoists, and Josh also plays expert Mandolin as well (hopefully my next Instrument). I am also picking up my music again after years of putting it down. I’m getting my fingers loosened again on my Guitar and hope to start my Banjo back up soon as well (the Banjo is a challenging instrument-I admire people who can play it well).

You and your family take care and stay safe!

Robert Funderburk

1 Like

Enjoyed the profile interview @murphrn62. Congrats on being the Gold Picker of the Week!

1 Like