Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Devil's Dream lyrics?

Happy New Year!
I just learned Devil’s Dream on the banjo and would like to know if there are lyrics that go with it, and, if so, what they sound like. I found these lyrics here: https://www.bluegrasslyrics.com/song/old-devils-dream/ but am not sure if these are the right ones or what it would sound like if they are the right ones. I’ve looked all over and only find instrumental videos (admittedly only on free sites). Any help appreciated!

To the best of my knowledge Devils Dream is an Old Scottish Fiddle tune arranged for the banjo by the late great Bill Keith who also created the tablature for Earl Scruggs first banjo book.
Here is a recording of Bill Keith playing Devils Dream with Bill Monroe’s Band

Typically a Scottish Country Dance tune played as part of a ‘set’ or medley of tunes with tunes like Mason’s Apron - Played very fast. Lyrics? I don’t recall anyone singing it. However since it’s Hogmanay here is a wee treat for you The Scottish Fiddle Orchestra and some Scottish Country Dancers to help you ring in the New Year. Awe the best for 2024.

3 Likes

Thank you, Archie. Yes, I love this tune! Maybe it never had them, but I’m still hoping to find a rendition with lyrics too :crossed_fingers:.

Hi @kbfay Your query has inspired me to learn more about the tunes that make up the ‘set’ medley that go with Devils Dream. The past few days has saw me set aside my plans to revisit some lessons I worked on some years back. Yesterday l learn Mason’s Apron a tune often associated with Devils Dream. My quest is now to find other tunes in the set.

Beautiful, thanks! Having danced contra, it’s another beloved tune. What a great site showing technique as well. Btw, as long as I’ve managed to derail your plans, if you haven’t heard Tam Lin yet, it’s my absolute favorite which I hope to play someday. I don’t see any banjo versions that inspire me yet, but here’s a fiddle version that’s not bad:

Fiddle version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqNiq-Acj2M

Been studying banjo close on fifteen years now and I am ashamed to say I am only now aged 76 just starting to learn some Celtic music. Being a Scot I grew up listening to this kind of music so in a sense it’s in my DNA one might think I would have it at my finger tips. Not so it’s yet another learning curve to climb. The thing with Celtic tunes is getting the timing right. Lot’s of dotted notes.

2 Likes