Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Delrin Thumb Picks

Do the types of metals on the Delrin tipped thumb picks have any affect on the tone ?
I assume the metal tipped versions do but would like to know if the Delrin blades also affect tone.

1 Like

That’s what they claim :wink:

1 Like

I guess there is only one way to find out @kooseman Buy one and give it a try.

And then get back to us with a report. We’re always looking for new toys! :grin:

1 Like

Will do. One is on the way.

2 Likes

Cool. Welcome to the wonderful world of pick collecting!

1 Like

Received my Acri Brass thumb pick with the Delrin blade and here’s my beginner .02 cents worth of feedback.
First off, the description for the Acri picks clearly states “highly polished”. The one I received looks like it hasn’t seen a drop of polish since its inception !!?? Moving forward, I compared this pick with a Blue Chip (JD) version, also with a Delrin blade. Even from a beginner’s viewpoint, the Blue Chip produced a much brighter, crisper, and distinct sound. Perhaps I was comparing apples & oranges, but even to a rookie picker there was quite a noticeable difference. The Acri pick had a more mellow and subdued sound, which I assume is distinctive in its own right. Unfortunately, I don’t yet have the training and experience to determine what variables (i.e. blade thickness, width, length, band width, etc., different metals), would affect any specific sound produced.
I’m still experimenting with different picks and the sound(s) I prefer. So no ground breaking scientific conclusion as to what degree the brass band had on the sound produced. Compared to the Blue Chip, it did make a difference to me. I’ll keep on experimenting and enjoying (as Banjoe put it) the wonderful world of pick collecting.

Brass being a softer metal will give a more mellow sound. It also wears out more quickly (friction) Polishing brass also creates wear. Brass can irritate skin if you are allergic to copper or zinc. Brass being an alloy of these two metals. I do believe lead is sometimes added and of course as I am sure you’ll know lead is poisonous. Fingers may turn black. What makes shiny brass/copper turn dull ? Exposure to oxygen - Oxidisation

Thank you for that info.
So far, so good … no black thumb !!! :wink: