Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Deering Good Time Banjo for beginners

I’m interested in taking the plunge and tackling the banjo lessons on this site. Not interested in clawhammer style but more to what Banjo Ben teaches. Would the Deering Open back
Goodtime fit the bill or would you recommend another starter banjo.

6 Likes

The open back would work just fine, although I’d recommend that if you only have one banjo that it be a resonator. I started with a Deering Goodtime 2 resonator banjo and I just sold it on ebay for $450.00 without the case.

Good luck; Steve

6 Likes

Hi Jason. I agree with Steve if you already own an open back banjo that would be fine to learn to play three finger Scruggs/Melodic Style banjo. But if you don’t already own a banjo I would encourage you to save up and purchase a resonator banjo which is much better for this playing style. If your looking to buy a banjo call or email @BanjoBen and have a chat with him before you make a commitment to purchase

2 Likes

I’ve had a goodtime special and a goodtime open back, and they are great.

1 Like

I bought a Goodtime open back on Craigslist a few months back, I love it. Great value for the buck. Resonator would be the way to go if you are going full on Bluegrass but I think the open back will tie you over until you’re ready to upgrade.

2 Likes