Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Dean Thornblad from Torrance, California!

What first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
I started to learn guitar when I was in junior high. My math teacher taught guitar as an elective class. This got me started. My youth leader at church showed me chords and strumming techniques. In college I really got serious learning my scales and playing lead.
The banjo is new to me. My old roommate gave me a banjo, and I tried learning from a book, but was really struggling. I found Ben’s sight about 9 years ago and that’s when things started to come together. I bought a mandolin because it was all part of the package! Being a Gold Pick member is the best musical investment I have ever made.

What’s your goal when playing?
Right now I am working on backup and taking a break in a jam situations. I am part of a couple of groups not far from me and they have been so much fun. I love the bluegrass community and the tremendous growth I have experienced playing with others. It has also been challenging dealing with some nerves, but you just gotta do it. Still have a long way to go!

How long have you been a Gold Pick member? How did you find out about Banjo Ben?
I think it has been about 9 years. I was looking for banjo teachers and I found Ben on the internet. It was a divine appointment for sure!

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
I love the hymn arrangements! I also love his lessons that unlock the neck of whatever instrument I am trying to learn. Alan Munde’s “Fretboard Geography” was a game changer for me. He is truly one of the best and he has a teacher’s heart. For mandolin, “Learning to Play in Any Key” is a great lesson, especially when it comes to jamming. For guitar I love the Christmas tune " O Come O Come Emmanuel. " Such a beautiful rendition of a great hymn.

Do you have a favorite technique? What is it?
I love Scruggs style banjo!

Are there any other instruments or genres of music that you enjoy playing?
I grew up in the 60’s and 70’s and love a lot of the music of the time. I love playing John Denver, Jim Croce, James Taylor, Simon and Garfunkel, Beatles and the list goes on. Jim Croce’s finger style picking is really challenging, but so cool.

What artist(s) most inspire you/Who are your favorite musical heroes?
Wow so many here. Glen Campbell, Poco, Byrds, Eagles, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Emmylou Harris, Dolly, Ricky Skaggs, Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash, Jerry Reed, Loretta Lynn and the list goes on. In Bluegrass: Alison Krauss, Sierra Hull, Molly Tuttle, Billy Strings, Del McCoury and the Purple Hulls of course! This list goes on as well. Rhonda Vincent…

If you could play in anyone’s band, who would it be and why?
I think I’ll go with Rhonda Vincent. Not only is she a great musician/singer, she is really a fun person!

If money was no object, what would be your dream instrument(s)?
Guitar- Any Martin D28. Banjo- Any old Gibson. Mandolin- Kentucky F style with a sunburst top.

What do you do for a living?
I am a retired teacher. (35 years teaching mostly middle school)

When you’re not pickin’, what else do you spend your time doing?
My wife and I love being grandparents. ( 7 of them. Five boys and 2 girls) We also love to travel.

What would be the most amazing adventure to go on?
Going to Israel was the highlight of my overseas travels. Being in the Holy Land makes the Bible come alive! My wife and I hope to do this again soon!

Thanks for letting us feature you @Deano1!

12 Likes

Congrats on being the Featured Gold Pick Member! Enjoyed reading your story! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

gif Dean

4 Likes

My grandparents went there back in 2011. It really was an experience that brings the Bible to life!

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing your story @Deano1

3 Likes

That’s a special calling. Thanks for all those years serving as a teacher.

5 Likes

Thank You Very Much for sharing.
Continued success with your Banjo journey. :+1:

1 Like

Enjoyed reading your story Dean. Hope you are doing well.

1 Like