Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Daylight Robbery

Just Watch - Pure Entertainment

1 Like

Culprit squirrel! Eclipsed the sun and robbed the daylight momentarily! :joy:

I love watching our backyard squirrels! I even construct “squirrel bamboozlers” to challenge the critters. I once read that squirrels are not particularly smart, but are masters at trial-and-error. Once one squirrel stumbles on the solution. all the other’s immediately copy it.

1 Like

I guess it must be Squirrelpathy. I used to have an American grey squirrel visit my garden many years ago.

Grey squirrels were first introduced to England from North America in 1876 as an ornamental species to populate the grounds of stately homes. Around 30 separate introductions occurred until 1930 when the damage caused by the grey squirrel was recognised. The grey squirrel is regarded as a pest/vermin under the Wildlife Countryside Act, and it is illegal to release a grey squirrel into the wild, or allow one to escape.

In 1998 an eradication programme was introduced at Pentraeth in North Wales and the area had been cleared of Greys five years later. The Grey population had been reduced to about 100 animals by 2008 and the last Grey was seen in 2013.

Scotland is home to most of Britain’s red squirrels but their numbers are quite small – less than 150,000 across the whole of Britain. They are under threat from their bigger and more adaptable grey American cousins hence the reason for the eradication programme

Thankfully The Native Red Squirrel (Sciurus vulgaris) are fully protected by law and it is an offence to: kill or injure a red squirrel; damage, destroy or obstruct a squirrel’s shelter or disturb a red squirrel whilst it is occupying a shelter.

Besides that, the little reds are so cute with their tufted ears and bushy tail

3 Likes

Here’s one of the little beasties that frolic freely at my place.

2 Likes