Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Dave Dillard's clawhammer style

Hello all; I’ve been away for awhile, but now I’m back and am looking forward to, hopefully, snagging a clawhammer banjo spot in the upcoming fall cabin camp. My question is this: There are several different styles referred to as clawhammer and I’m wondering which one Dave Dillard uses. I know Ben said we could come with no clawhammer experience whatsoever, but I would like to practice up on the one Dillard uses so I will be more prepared. Any help appreciated. Thanks; Steve

1 Like

I only know of one main style referred to as clawhammer, but if in doubt, you can look him up on youtube and see some of what he does

1 Like

Hey Brother Steve,

Shoot Dave and email at dave@nashvillebanjos.com and ask him what he recommends to prepare! Look forward to seeing you!

3 Likes

Hey, @HeloSteve. I’ve been to a couple camps with Dave. He teaches a basic bum ditty stroke with the thumb resting on the drone string with every stroke. The nail of either your forefinger or middle finger (whichever is more comfortable—sort of like a right vs left handed thing—you’ll know once you try both) will either strike a targeted string or strum a chord with each stroke. He’ll also progress to drop thumb depending on your progress, but he’ll cover several great songs with just the bum ditty pattern. Dave doesn’t do any of the 2 finger pick patterns you see occasionally with old time banjo—he stays true to the claw shaped right hand with a single nail and the thumb hitting the strings. I hope this helps.

5 Likes

Thanks, I appreciate that information.

Thanks Gunnar. I did look for him, but I only found the interview with Ben about the camps. I will look again. There’s one called clawhammer or round peak, and I’ve seen a few who alternate the index and middle finger, which is what I’ve been doing.

Here is a YouTube link of Dave playing a melody of songs on the small travel banjo that he built for me. Dave owns the Nashville Banjo Company, and makes amazing old time banjos. If you look up the Nashville Banjo Company website, you’ll find samples of folks playing Dave’s banjos (including Dave)—I think they are all using the traditional clawhammer style.

3 Likes