Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Dan Hill from Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania

IMG_4275%20BBC%20copy
This picture shows one of the guitars I’ve assembled; it is a commemorative to veterans who served in WWII, specifically the “Band of Brothers” regiment of which my father was a member.

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site?
Choosing a favorite lesson would be a difficult task, since I’m learning pieces for three instruments and I have an eclectic music orientation anyhow. I guess I spend slightly more time on the bluegrass classics and old fiddle tunes. Ben’s lessons in those areas are delightful.

What’s your instrument of choice and what was your inspiration to learn how to play?
Long story there. I started on an $18 Sears Silvertone guitar when I was 8 or 9 for the express purpose of learning cowboy songs that Autry and Rogers filled their movies and TV shows with. A few years later I had a Gibson ES-335TDC and was playing in a High School rock band. Then in college I succumbed to the classical guitar bug having been bitten by a Segovia master class that I watched years earlier. Shortly after that I moved on to the renaissance and baroque lute. Then a tour of the Martin guitar plant 6 years ago rekindled interest in the mandolin, banjo and steel string guitar and related repertoire.

What’s your goal when playing?
To play well enough to reduce complaints of all within earshot (phrasing, meter and general musicality). Then, enjoyment.

How long have you been playing?
50+ years.

What’s your favorite hobby?
No favorites really, but I have or have had plenty of hobbies, including, but certainly not limited to, aerobatics (have a part 61 commercial pilot license), building guitars, mandolins, and lutes, sport cars, building 18th century-style flintlocks, fly fishing, bow-hunting, taking online courses in science and medicine, and obeying my spouse. Whoa, almost forgot to mention a fondness for my hobby of playing the guitar, banjo and mandolin!

How long have you been a Gold Pick member?
I registered in the spring of 2014 and became a lifer on July 6, 2014, now starting my 5th year. BTW, one of the best things I’ve ever done.

What do you do for a living?
I work in Research and Development for a company that makes medicines for rare diseases.

10 Likes

Congratulations Dan. And thank you. My Father also served in WWII. Fantastic looking guitar.

Butch B.

1 Like

My hat’s off to your father and his service. I’ll never find the right words to express my gratitude for any person that fights for my American freedoms.

That might just be the most well-stated music goal I’ve ever heard

3 Likes

Thanks Rance and Butch!
-d.

1 Like

Congrats Dan, As an Army Veteran myself I can relate to the camaraderie and esprit de corps shared by all service personnel from all military conflicts in all theatres of conflict throughout the passage of time. None more so than those Band of Brothers who served in Operation Overlord June 6 1944. Tis a fine memorial you have created to honour your father and his comrades.

2 Likes

Nice to meet you Dan. That guitar looks awesome! I am appreciative of your Dad’s service. I listened to a pod cast recently that covered WW1 & WW2 and it was so eye opening. Most of us have no idea what those guys (and their families) went through.

1 Like

Congrats Dan. As a GPM alumni I assume @BanjoBen gave you the signet ring and showed you the secret handshake? Make sure you don’t miss the next secret meeting at the secret Place. Well its just Ben’s house.

2 Likes

Thanks Archie, Brandon, and Jason!
-d.

2 Likes

Congrats Dan! Band of Brothers - AWESOME!

1 Like