Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Damon Coe from Atlantic, North Carolina

What was it that first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
To be honest, I was 6 (some 63 years ago) and it was Elvis Presley

How long have you been playing and what’s your motivation to play?
63 years (although there have been some long dry spells) Playing with friends. Not for gigs but just for fellowship.

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
Anything to do with theory. I did not learn any of it when I was younger and I sure wish I had!

What’s your goal when playing?
To keep my mind nimble and my fingers moving

Are there any other instruments or genres of music that you enjoy playing?
Guitar, Mandolin, and Banjo. I really love traditional Country Music

If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
Fish, hunt, and pick

How long have you been a Gold Pick member?
You’ll have to ask Ben, but I think I was one of the first to receive that honor.

Do you have a favorite technique? What is it?
I am a strait up flat picker

What artist(s) most inspire you?
Growing up Doc Watson was my idol. I had the privilege of knowing him for many years.

What do you do for a living?
I am retired

What would be the most amazing adventure to go on?
I would love to go to the Culinary Institute of America for a few semesters.

9 Likes

@damon is my good buddy, and will be catering the Inaugural Banjo Ben Cabin Camp!

4 Likes

hey Damon,
Nice to meet you! You live in one very nice part of NC! Good luck at Ben’s big adventure. Should be great fun.

2 Likes

I look forward to meeting you at the camp

1 Like

Look forward to meeting you as well. It’s going to be great fun!,

1 Like

Wow, sir it is an honor to meet you (digitally anyway)! I like to see people playing multiple instruments. And you were friends with Doc? Wow. Congratulations on being GPotW! I won’t say welcome, cuz you’ve been here about as long as I’ve been alive (ok, not quite that long, but close) this makes me wish even more that I could attend the camp

1 Like

Dog! They make some really good bbq down there.

4 Likes

Wow! You knew Doc Watson? That’s awesome! Looking forward to meeting you and sampling your cuisine.

2 Likes

I worked on a Culinary Institute of America project converting a winery into the school in Sonoma Valley. We were doing the demolition and seismic retro so I did not learn much cooking but it did give me cause to sample some wine. :wine_glass:

The more you talk to @damon, the more your jaw drops at what he’s done and who he knows. He’s a real life book. His dad is a whole other book. Damon’s dad, Joffre, is responsible for perhaps the majority of what is known about Indian life on the east coast: https://www.ncdcr.gov/blog/2015/07/05/joffre-coe-father-of-north-carolina-archaeology

3 Likes

Congrats! I’ve been all over eastern NC and to Morehead many times. Not sure I’ve been in Atlantic. With folks from NC, there is always the east vs west BBQ debate. I like it all so I can argue both sides with equal enthusiasm.