Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Crash & Burn Freestyle

Once in a while it’s good to just let loose and go out on a limb…no prep, just jamming & experimenting. Thought I’d have a mando jam tonight. I usually do one or two of these “jams” each weekend just to put myself on the spot & have to improvise and come up with new things…doesn’t usually turn out great sounding, but that’s not what its about.

Chord progression comes from “Don’t Let Nobody Tie You Down” (Country Gazette) and moved down a whole-step to G & slowed down some.

16 Likes

Dave, You don’t know how encouraging this is to me. Thanks for posting it.

4 Likes

Wonderful! That’s the main reason i share!

3 Likes

Dave,
What @JohnnyD said - same for me, appreciate it, & you sounded great…!! If that’s your crash n burn - I’ve got train wrecks & aeronautical disasters in comparison :crazy_face::grin::rofl:!! Eventually it’ll get there, in due time w plenty of practice… Thank you!

5 Likes

Musinautical disasters…:grin:…love it!
Title of my upcoming first album…big%20laugh

Honestly, most of my messing up is technical/physical. I could think that fast, but just couldn’t get there quick enough, or it needed to be cleaner…I was quite happy I could keep up with it mentally…I knew where I wanted to go most of the time, just would like to have pulled it off a bit better.

I really like this chord progression (and the song I learned it from). In A,this is my favorite song done by Country Gazette. Great way to work on circle of 5ths stuff. Think I’ll be spending some more time on it :nerd_face:

7 Likes

Man I love this.

4 Likes

Between this and the Charlie Belle video, makes me think I need a mandolin laying around. Maybe, one of the grandkids might pick it up and want to play. :thinking:

3 Likes

Sounds good -I need to add some jazzy swing songs to my practice

You are a full half step sharp to me -do you normally play tuned up or is that some computer thing?
I guess some old time bands used to tune up on purpose.

1 Like

thanks!

Just checked it against my fiddle for pitch and it matches up fine, except the mandolin is slightly out of tune. Who knows…maybe all my tuners are off together!
dontknow

3 Likes

This is great! Thank you for sharing!

2 Likes

Honestly, this has got to be a good idea to routinely include this type of exercise in our daily practice routine.

4 Likes