Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Cowboy boots in Nashville?

OK its purple, which is violet!

“OK its purple, which is violet!”

Not wishing to get into a debate over this. Time is so precious when the banjo is waiting to be picked.

We Brits see Violet as Blue and Lilac as Purple. The blue in the background may trick your eyes / brain into seeing other colours, best to place the boots in front of a white or black background to bring out the natural colour of the boots.

Recent social media debates about the colour of a dress went viral, so much so it became international news. as millions across the world offered up their opinion on the colour of the dress. So I’ll decline the invitation to offer my opinion on the colour/color and just say the boots look pretty. YeeeeeHaaaa go get em cowboy

3 Likes

@Archie & @Michael ,

Even as I see shades (so I wasn’t crazy when I said I saw a blue-ish hue), I find this all interesting. It also helps me feel a bit less self-conscious. Lol. I mean, if y’all can’t agree…

Anyway, my related (cowboy boots) but not just more talk in color…

@Archie: Is there is any interest and/availability of cowboy boots over there in general? Also, have you personally ever considered to want a pair… Respecting your deep appreciation for the Bluegrass tradition?

Sure, I know (especially as a Midwestern “Yankee”) that one doesn’t have to dress the part to play… but I personally like the way they look… and was stationed in Louisiana for 5 years… But sadly, that was before my personal Bluegrass connection (I am a transplant too).

I did go to check out that Tecovas boots website (good enough for a native Texan and Nashville resident, our esteemed teacher @BanjoBen, good enough for me!) and thought it may be something both of us consider. I mean, Nashville is a long 9 hour drive non-stop from my front door… even as I enjoy going, it won’t be happening any time soon until after I find a job :disappointed:

I have no idea about price and quality… but perhaps worth a look…

https://www.tecovas.com/

Hi @WillCoop Yes there are small groups of folk that get together regularly to dress up like cowboys and do reenactment gun fights. Western wear is also popular with the ladies who do line dancing. Glasgow even has it’s own Grand Old Opry. I have never been mindful to do this, but I guess it’s a lot of fun for those who do…

I’d add that most of the clothing/boots are purchased online or mailorder from UK disributers. Stock having originated in the US and Asia. China & Hong Kong being among biggest suppliers

2 Likes

@Archie,

I know I asked the question sincerely… but the way this was written (an issue with text-based communication), I almost thought you were teasing me.

However, taking you at your word about reenactments, I think that is cool.

Ironically, the Civil War (1861 - 1865) is probably what I know to be the most common sort of reenactments over here versus Old West Reenactments.

Personally, I am not aware of amateur Western reenactments… at least, in these parts. Maybe out west…

This is why it surprised me.

As for the line-dancing… Totally get that. Glasgow and the Grand Ole Opry…

That is AMAZING!

1 Like

Scot’s have always been fond of Cowboy Movies. Myself included, John Wayne, Roy Rogers and Ward Bond were amongst my fav/'s, Most of us leave all that behind when we grow into adulthood., some never do.

1 Like

I never knew… regarding the Scots affinity for Westerns.

And what about the latter spaghetti Westerns and other artists of the late 1960’s… Eastwood, Bronson, Van Cleef, Wallach, Fonda?

1 Like

I wasn’t a big fan of the spaghetti Westerns. I liked the stories in the pioneering movies, The Wagon Trains, The Pony Express, Gold Rush, Wells Fargo, The Rail Roads, Cattle Men, River Boats, and The US Calvary stuff like that.

2 Likes

Oh I did not know that… I thought purple was American, violet was British, both simply meant the same color. I kind of used to think bluish and pinkish (types of violet colors) as both violets of different shades. I googled for pictures of violet and lilac, the difference is so subtle that I don’t know if I would be able to identify which is what. Wonder what color is Camassia? :wink:

1 Like

Hi @jmonickaraj1 as an armature gardener I have given up looking at plant labels with pictures and descriptions. Plant colours these days are rarely as described on labels. I just pot them up and wait to see what mother nature produces.

3 Likes

@Archie, that color immediately reminded me of Camassia as the street where my brother lives is named after that plant/flower. :slight_smile:

2 Likes