Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Copyright issues on your arrangements?

Hi Ben. I’m looking to play your arrangements of What a Friend We Have in Jesus and Will the Circle be Unbroken at our church. Do you have copyright issues with this? Thanks. Tim

5 Likes

I don’t want to speak FOR Ben, but I can say that from past experience, Ben has been delighted when his arrangements are used by his students for their performances.

Go for it!

6 Likes

I hope your performances go smoothly. That is a goal of mine to play as a part of my church worship service.

3 Likes

Man, I would LOVE to get a tab of What a friend we have in Jesus. Especially if it’s the version that @BanjoBen Katy and Penny do in the kitchen. I listen to that video VERY often, without a doubt, my favorite!!!

1 Like

here you go. https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/what-a-friend-we-have-in-jesus-mandolin-intermediate

I could tab that out for you; does anyone know of a free banjo tab writing program for macOS?

Thanks Archie. I was so excited, I didn’t realize this was the Mando thread. I am looking for a banjo tab.

I’ll be looking for a program for you @Michael_Mark

1 Like

Hi @Grinnin Daniel In that case check out Murphy Henry she did a great arrangment on one of her DVDs it was fairly easy to to learn. Also search YouTube it’s such a popular tune someone must surely have recorded a lesson on this also search Google for TAB, Banjo Hangout and Fiddle Hangout - Fiddle TABs often come with great banjo arr. You’ll need TEFView to access TEF files happy hunting

1 Like

I’d be honored for you to play them! If you do post them on YouTube, etc., I’d love a mention but it’s not mandatory.

5 Likes

Thanks Ben. I will definitely credit you.

1 Like

Everyone uses Tabledit it seems. Sibelius also works well.

1 Like

Hi @Michael_Mark I am not aware of any FREE TAB Editors TablEdit is the software I use, there are Versions for PC & Mac Sibelius is another TAB editing tool that’s been around for a few years. It produces a PDF files but personally I do not like the layout/font of the TAB. If you’ve ever downloaded TAB from Banjo Newsletter those TABs are produced by Sibelius.

1 Like

Thanks guys; just not ready to spend money on something that I’ll rarely use– I don’t use tab for myself.

@Michael_Mark IIRC, You can use the free version of Tabledit to edit/create up to 16 measures. If you ever wanted to do more than that, you could email me however many 16 measure tabs and I can combine them and send them back.

I also wonder if you set the time signature to 32/4, if you still get 16 measures for free
:open_mouth:

3 Likes

@Michael_Mark If your end goal is to create a PDF/Print version of your TAB then create as many measures as you need in multiples of 16 measures for printing. Or as @Mike_R suggestion sent the files to him and he will be able to amalgamate them into one TEF file which can be played back in the DEMO version, but you won’t be able to save the the TEF file as it will only save the first 16 measures. If you print any file with the DEMO Editor it does print a watermark stating it’s a DEMO Version

1 Like

@Grinnin Here’s a tab of the banjo intro to What a Friend We Have In Jesus off Close to Home.
What_A_Friend.tef (2.9 KB)

Somehow I ended up with 35 measures for free :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

They must have known who you were :slight_smile:

That was super nice of you to write out!

1 Like

Thanks! I should add that it’s a 2-4 slide in measures 14-15, not a hammer on.

1 Like

WOW! thanks buddy!! Certainly appreciate you taking time out for that. I owe ya one!! Or twenty!!

2 Likes

No problem, I enjoy it! Let me know if you want help with anything else :slight_smile:

1 Like