Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Condenser Microphones

Condensers are typically very “hot” mics. You’d usually want a live sound man at the helm if you’re using one. If you don’t have a sound man, you’d at least need to make sure you don’t have any monitors or mains pointing anywhere near the mic.

1 Like

Thanks Mark. Given the various factors, maybe I’m just not ready for something like this yet.
Happy Thanksgiving. :thinking:

1 Like

I have been looking at maybe getting a microphone myself. I am leaning toward the Blue Yeti. Found Best Buy has them on sale for $100 right now. However, before I spend another $100 on this hobby, I am curious from you folks that have microphones you bought for recording your playing. Do you actually use them like you thought you would? So far I have used the built in mic on the computer or the phone for forum videos. I am messing around with the Mandolin and thought it might be cool to start doing some looping and be my own 2 man band. However, I don’t want to spend another $300 for a looper pedal for that functionality. Not sure if there is software out there that will let me do looping cheaper. Anyway, I would love to hear from folks that have a good mic if you use it or if it was a neat idea that you never really got into once you got one.

1 Like

I have a Shure SM58 that I used once for recording on the banjo. It’s nice to have, but for my level of playing the phone or computer are probably sufficient.

So, maybe I’m going a bit over my head with my considering a condenser mic. Just not sure yet.

Jack

2 Likes

I have a Blue Yeti. I love how easy it makes things for recording directly into a PC or Mac. To be honest, I haven’t used it as much as I thought I would have, but it has been nice to have when I need it, like when Ben has his contests.

I’ve also been working on one of Ben’s Christmas tunes that I hope to record in the next couple of weeks, so I’ll be using it for that really soon.

3 Likes

Hey Joe, Amazon is having a 30% off sale on Blue Yeti mics today. If you’re on the fence, now’s the time to fall. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have 2 condensor mics, one is a valve mic and I also use an internal pickup sometimes, and a sennheiser e835s cardioid dynamic mic which goes into a focus rite Scarlett audio USB interface connected to my PC. The sennheiser works pretty good for recording.

1 Like

Do you prefer the dynamic over the condenser?

1 Like

The dynamic works pretty well and I can adjust the mix in Logic Pro. I wouldn’t say I prefer it, it’s just more convenient sometimes to just plug it in and go. Where as the condensor being more delicate I tend to pack it back in its case. If I’m planning to spend an afternoon or a day recording things, then I use the condensor. Don’t underestimate the dynamic as its a good mic and it all depends on how you set it up and what mixing software you have. Also mic placement plays a big role in capturing a good sound from any string instrument.

2 Likes

I picked up a blue yeti professional mic for $89.99 ($40 savings) from best buy. :slight_smile: Mark, can this cable (3.5mm to 1/4") be used to connect computer to amplifier/speaker to send the output speakers? https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Housing-Theater-Devices-Amplifiers/dp/B00Y2LANUU/ref=asc_df_B00Y2LANUU/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198091709182&hvpos=1o10&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12560203226258355326&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9014989&hvtargid=pla-392220473949&psc=1

1 Like

I guess it depends on the computer and the speaker, but in general, yes, that cable should work for most cases. Also keep in mind that you’ll have to tweak the settings in the software you’re using so that it’s playing through your line out or speaker out, depending on what kind of speakers you have. IIRC, in GarageBand, you have to turn on “Monitor” to hear any single going out of the computer. Your mileage may vary.

1 Like

Thanks Mark! Just wanted to make sure… I saw a video that said all it would require after connecting the Mic to the USB port was to make sure the control panel->Hardware Sound->Sound->Playback is setup to the correct audio device. In my case I’m assuming it would be the internal speakers so that the audio output can be sent out through the headphone jack. And then through this 3.5mm to 1/4" cable to the speakers. I have Acoustic AG15 monitor. I think if this direct plug-in connection works, it should also work with the analog speaker in the church. It is not a digital speaker to involve software. But I’ll play around and see when I buy the cable.

2 Likes

If you find you can’t connect try Radio Shack there may be a variety of cables and these guy’s are usually very knowledgeable on what goes where

1 Like

Do you still have Radio Shacks in your area? All of the ones around me closed down years ago. :frowning:

2 Likes

Yes over here they are called RS. All our Maplin Stores closed earlier this year.

1 Like

I bought the Blue Yeti. Should be here Monday or Tuesday. Prepare yourselves for lots of video uploads. Ben might have to buy more storage from AWS. LOL

1 Like

@Mark_Rocka, do you use GarageBand for recording off the mic? I saw a video on how to loop and record during loop using a MIDI guitar in GarageBand. I assumed that would not be possible with a mic as it would not know when to start recording the next instrument for the loop. I tried looping with Audacity. There is a setting for starting the recording when it detects sound. There is a delay though and it does not sound quite right. Maybe if I play with the settings for the sensitivity on the sound detection.

1 Like

I’ve never done looping in GarageBand but I’ve used it several times to record tracks, correct mistakes, and add effects. I’ve never noticed any kind of delay between the tracks.

1 Like

I may be a bad person to answer this since I used to buy microphones like some folks buy hamburgers.
That said, you can purchase a condenser microphone and use it for live performances if you know what you are doing. The tricks to using a condenser microphone live is:

1. Set the microphone in such a position that the microphone cannot “hear” either the monitors or the mains.
  2. The condenser microphone must have a narrow cardioid (or hypercardioid) pickup pattern. Omnis and Figure 8s are out of the question.
  3. No one touches the microphone after it is set up. A misplaced hand near the microphone element can send the mic on a feedback rampage.

The main problem with using one microphone for recording and live performance is that you are asking one microphone to do completely different tasks. Live microphones are designed to reject sounds that are not in front of them. They also are designed to have an upper midrange bump so that the microphone sounds clearer and cuts through the mix. Also, these microphones do not need to have as wide a frequency response as their recording counterparts since they are used live in systems that are not necessarily meant to cover all frequencies from 20 to 20khz. Recording microphones are meant to be much flatter (less colored) in their frequency response and many are designed to to be used in a wide variety of recording set ups (with musicians circling the microphone “omni” or or either side “figure 8”). In addition, there are lots of different stereo recording set up meant for condensers including X/Y, A/B, Mid/Side and more. And in recording live concerts, sometimes you want the sound of the hall (use omnis or figure 8s) and sometimes you want the recording clean (close mic cardioids). Plus, a decent live microphone (like the SM58) would struggle to record an orchestra triangle or bass drum, or give you a decent recording of an entire string section…etc.

This is one reason I own dozens of microphones.

My suggestion is find a microphone you like and purchase a decent preamp (with lots of clean gain and headroom) for it. Learn how to get the best sound out of your mic and preamp in varying situations (experience is your best teacher here). I’ve recorded live concerts with crappy Radio Shack condensers, lousy preamp onto a cassette and got a pretty nice recording because I knew how to get the best out of each piece of equipment. Here is that recording (unfortunately compressed into an MP3… twice!)

2 Likes

Lots of good feedback, Jerry. I miss your families musical postings.

Jack

1 Like