Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Condenser Microphones

Anyone have a recommendation for a good mid priced condenser microphone that could be used for both recording and live performance?

Thank You,

Jack

1 Like

Hi Jack Depends on what you would call mid priced I use a Samson C03U USB to connect to my computer. There are variations on this mic. I am no expert, but I think it is a good quality mic…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N6xIhewMBA

2 Likes

Appreciate it Archie. It does look like a good one. I was thinking the 150 range, but I would like one that can be plugged into an amp and plugged into an interface device, via an XLR connection.

Im not sure if all condenser mics are phantom powered, but I thing I need one with phantom power too.

Thank You,

Jack

1 Like

I don’t know what your live performances look like, but condenser mics in general are horrible on feedback while on stage. I’m not sure you’re going to find one you like for live shows in the $150 range.

You might be better off saving up and buying 2 mics, one for each purpose.

1 Like

Mark,

I don’t plan to be doing any kind of live performances, but I thought that the way bluegrass bands often perform is to all be around one condenser mic at the same time, with the person soloing often stepping up to that mic.

I basically just want it for some recording or maybe if I’m jamming with one or two people.

So to be a little more clear, Isn’t a condenser mic supposed to be able to pick up everybody singing and playing?

Thank You,

Jack

1 Like

Condensers are typically very “hot” mics. You’d usually want a live sound man at the helm if you’re using one. If you don’t have a sound man, you’d at least need to make sure you don’t have any monitors or mains pointing anywhere near the mic.

1 Like

Thanks Mark. Given the various factors, maybe I’m just not ready for something like this yet.
Happy Thanksgiving. :thinking:

1 Like

I have been looking at maybe getting a microphone myself. I am leaning toward the Blue Yeti. Found Best Buy has them on sale for $100 right now. However, before I spend another $100 on this hobby, I am curious from you folks that have microphones you bought for recording your playing. Do you actually use them like you thought you would? So far I have used the built in mic on the computer or the phone for forum videos. I am messing around with the Mandolin and thought it might be cool to start doing some looping and be my own 2 man band. However, I don’t want to spend another $300 for a looper pedal for that functionality. Not sure if there is software out there that will let me do looping cheaper. Anyway, I would love to hear from folks that have a good mic if you use it or if it was a neat idea that you never really got into once you got one.

1 Like

I have a Shure SM58 that I used once for recording on the banjo. It’s nice to have, but for my level of playing the phone or computer are probably sufficient.

So, maybe I’m going a bit over my head with my considering a condenser mic. Just not sure yet.

Jack

2 Likes

I have a Blue Yeti. I love how easy it makes things for recording directly into a PC or Mac. To be honest, I haven’t used it as much as I thought I would have, but it has been nice to have when I need it, like when Ben has his contests.

I’ve also been working on one of Ben’s Christmas tunes that I hope to record in the next couple of weeks, so I’ll be using it for that really soon.

3 Likes

Hey Joe, Amazon is having a 30% off sale on Blue Yeti mics today. If you’re on the fence, now’s the time to fall. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have 2 condensor mics, one is a valve mic and I also use an internal pickup sometimes, and a sennheiser e835s cardioid dynamic mic which goes into a focus rite Scarlett audio USB interface connected to my PC. The sennheiser works pretty good for recording.

1 Like

Do you prefer the dynamic over the condenser?

1 Like

The dynamic works pretty well and I can adjust the mix in Logic Pro. I wouldn’t say I prefer it, it’s just more convenient sometimes to just plug it in and go. Where as the condensor being more delicate I tend to pack it back in its case. If I’m planning to spend an afternoon or a day recording things, then I use the condensor. Don’t underestimate the dynamic as its a good mic and it all depends on how you set it up and what mixing software you have. Also mic placement plays a big role in capturing a good sound from any string instrument.

2 Likes

I picked up a blue yeti professional mic for $89.99 ($40 savings) from best buy. :slight_smile: Mark, can this cable (3.5mm to 1/4") be used to connect computer to amplifier/speaker to send the output speakers? https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Housing-Theater-Devices-Amplifiers/dp/B00Y2LANUU/ref=asc_df_B00Y2LANUU/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198091709182&hvpos=1o10&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12560203226258355326&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9014989&hvtargid=pla-392220473949&psc=1

1 Like

I guess it depends on the computer and the speaker, but in general, yes, that cable should work for most cases. Also keep in mind that you’ll have to tweak the settings in the software you’re using so that it’s playing through your line out or speaker out, depending on what kind of speakers you have. IIRC, in GarageBand, you have to turn on “Monitor” to hear any single going out of the computer. Your mileage may vary.

1 Like

Thanks Mark! Just wanted to make sure… I saw a video that said all it would require after connecting the Mic to the USB port was to make sure the control panel->Hardware Sound->Sound->Playback is setup to the correct audio device. In my case I’m assuming it would be the internal speakers so that the audio output can be sent out through the headphone jack. And then through this 3.5mm to 1/4" cable to the speakers. I have Acoustic AG15 monitor. I think if this direct plug-in connection works, it should also work with the analog speaker in the church. It is not a digital speaker to involve software. But I’ll play around and see when I buy the cable.

2 Likes

If you find you can’t connect try Radio Shack there may be a variety of cables and these guy’s are usually very knowledgeable on what goes where

1 Like

Do you still have Radio Shacks in your area? All of the ones around me closed down years ago. :frowning:

2 Likes

Yes over here they are called RS. All our Maplin Stores closed earlier this year.

1 Like