Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Coming Up With Chords From Sheetmusic

I am learning different Celtic and Old Time tunes and sometimes I only have the sheet music. While I’m not very good with sheet music, I can usually come up with the key and melody. How do I come up with the chords for each measure? Are there some harmonic structure rules of thumb that I can apply to each measure. I know how to harmonize the major and minor (kind of) scales. But I’m lost when it comes to feeling confident about which specific chord or chords per measure to play over the melody.
Tony

@pickertony. I need help with this also. One thing that I’ve used to help me are the hymnn studies that @BanjoBen has done. He shows the sheet music from the hymnal and breaks down the chords near the beginning of the studies.

There are a lot of really good musicians on here that should give some advice on how they do things like this but I’m definitely not to that point yet (but I will probably keep an eye out for these responses to learn). I think if you look at a couple of the hymn studies you can get a good start.

2 Likes

If your interested in learning Celtic tunes on the 5 String banjo there are a couple of good books at Mel Bay. I can’t remember the titles off hand. Also checkout https://pickinlessons.com/

Whilst there are some similarities to playing Melodic, Single String and Scruggs. Timing can be challenging because of the 6/8 timing of some tunes. Lot’s of triplets and syncopated tunes in Celtic music

2 Likes

That can be tricky! As @Stuart.Gamble said I explain this in my hymn studies. I’ve found that using the method you use to harmonize the scales gets you the right chords MOST of the time, but these old time tunes can trick you. The best thing to do is look them up on youtube and listen to the chords being played.

2 Likes

Thanks so much! I’ve been watching the hymn lesson and that helps. Appreciate it!

3 Likes

Very helpful

1 Like