Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Coming Soon - Teardrop Backup

Hi @BanjoBen just caught sight of what’s to come. Great Topic. Falls in nicely with Alan’s Geography lesson and the Waypoint’s lessons in G & C. It had been in my thoughts to suggest a lesson on the tremolo licks ( pedal steel licks ) but I was holding back until you had fully recovered before offering up the suggestion.

I have done some of this teardrop stuff before and I am looking forward to getting into this lesson at the weekend. It sounds great with the guitar backing.

For me at least, the only problem I have had with this type of backup is finding tunes where this style of playing works well.

Love to hear a few tune suggestions.

1 Like

One of my favorite backup things…seems to be going out of style in the post LRB sound

works great for

slow songs

old country

3/4 & 6/8 time

1 Like

I’ll think of some songs as we get more into application, but it can be used on literally any 4/4 song that is slow enough for you to play it with–which, of course, is different for different folks.

Even though it’s not used in this cut, I would use teardrop backup at times if playing this song at this speed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym1d76hKeAs

1 Like

I used “my version” of it in this old ET tune.

3 Likes

Here’s a bit of Earl coming in & out with it in a 4/4 tune.

1 Like

I’ve been wanting to learn that backup Earl did in ; i’ll never love another; The mercury sessions cd has the best backup i’ve ever heard. Thats if you like Earls style. I listen to it in my semi all the time, hoping i can learn some of it when i get home. I don’t know how Earl remembered all of it.

1 Like

I saw Del & the Boys last night and Robby played teardrop all the way through this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7WBbWDmbq0

1 Like

I don’t see how it works in 3/4. The timing is off when I try it to Amazing Grace.

Hi Keith, Playing triplets in 3/4 timing is really down to listening and finding the groove. Check out this lesson by Murphy Henry.

2 Likes

The nice thing about doing it in 3/4 is you can play triplets if it’s real slow or you can cut it in 1/2 speed wise like I did and it still works.

Hard to believe it’s been over 10 yrs since we did that collaboration…time flies.

1 Like