Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Collab Video for Ellie's Hornpipe

OK, I have now been motivated to finish tweaking my new harmonica and give this a go with the melody track.

(Here’s a link to the file since Discourse has this weird thing where it uploads the entire file, then says “max upload size of 10000kb” (which is 10 MB, or about 9.75 MB if you are using binary MB) in response to your 3.5 MB file.)

The first half of this is me playing the melody and the second half is the harmony bit with me simply chugging chords in the background (I turned down the volume a bit to keep myself in the background on the rhythm). Please note that there are rough edges to this and that I only did a few takes before saying “fine, this will do”, so the final product will hopefully be nicer.

I’ve been toying around with the idea of doing some improv on the second A and B parts. We’ll see how that goes. More practice required…

8 Likes

Hey now. No reviving collabs. Letting collaborations die on the vine is what we do here. It’s tradition.

8 Likes

Seriously though, nice job on that. You got it note for note. That couldn’t have been easy. I got dizzy just listening to you.

3 Likes

We’re going to do this one. @BanjoBen proposed it and we want to!!

3 Likes

Nice job. How did you learn harmonica? I have a little brother that’s supposed to be learning. He isn’t really… well, like… focused… though :relieved:

3 Likes

I started by teaching myself and eventually got a book on it. The internet is also your friend for advanced techniques.

4 Likes

@BanjoBen, do you have a revised timeline for the backing track?

2 Likes

That’s it! Great job!

Not yet, but will before too long. We’ve moved from TN to TX over the last month and along with holidays, things are crazy but settling in.

I’m back in Nash this week for team meetings and recording. Starting next week I’ll be able to jump on this! Outstanding harp playing, @LorenDB!

8 Likes

This is just great! Love every bit of it.

2 Likes

Hey everyone, let’s do the final call for the solo order! Based on our responses so far, I’m thinking:

1. @BanjoBen mando melody
  2. @Flatpickin_Libby guitar melody or improv
  3. @Mark_Rocka banjo melody
  4. Duet mandos? @Lucy_L on melody and me on harmony?
  5. @Mason_Crone banjo solo
  6. @Luke_L slidey boi solo
  7. @Timothy_L banjo or guitar
  8. @Bcaves guitar solo
  9. @LorenDB harmonica-ing
  10. Unison melody

If anyone else wants a part (@CalebEllis, @Ms_Ragsdale, @Cornelius, @KevinB, @silaslee.b?) reply to this post.

(Also, any of y’all mando players want to take the harmony/melody instead of me? I’ll die if I try to record something note for note. Thanks :joy:)

6 Likes

I totally forgot this song even existed :grimacing: When does it need to be done? I’ll see if I have time to learn it. If not I don’t have to be in it, just whatever is best

3 Likes

I can do another guitar solo if you want one.

1 Like

We can do it over the rest of the month. That’s like 50 songs worth of learning time for you.

7 Likes

A-OK! Let’s light this candle!

1 Like

Wow. Now that Michael’s an official boss here he gets collaborations done!

3 Likes

Life lesson 1: Don’t speak too soon :joy:

7 Likes

I forgot all about this song and never learned it either :joy:. I can though

4 Likes

I’m ready. Let me know the track/tempo details. Do I play rhythm the whole time or just record my solo?

3 Likes

I believe Ben is gonna make the track with backing for all of us

2 Likes

I don’t like Michael being a boss, it’s just pure resentment because he’s mean to me so I guess I can’t complain though.:crazy_face::rofl:

2 Likes