Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Collab Video for Ellie's Hornpipe

Where’s @Lucy_L?

4 Likes

Actually, I think Ben should convince @Jake to do the eefing…

4 Likes

I’m willing to try mandolin either melody or harmony. It’d be fun!

5 Likes

I’m down for whatever. Just let me know what’s needed. Need to brush up on my Eefing skills. Been a couple of years.

3 Likes

If it gets too long, we can always make the middle 5 minutes of it a “Me & My Guitar” style extended improv section to keep it interesting. :cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

@BanjoBen I would suggest we split this into a proper collab thread to keep the lesson discussion on topic.

Edit: Thanks for moving it! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I feel for you! We will be praying for y’all.

7 Likes

@BanjoBen… I hate to complain, but I had the collab category in mind when I suggested moving this. :grimacing:

https://banjobenclark.com/forum/c/member-collaboration

OK, before I get too deep in to this thing, tell me if this is too much single string picking, or if it’s too close to what the mando is doing. Maybe it needs to sound more “banjo-ey”?

Still can’t upload TEFs, so here’s a pic of it.

1 Like

I’d single string the 2nd beat in measure 4 and 8 with an open 2nd string, which would prob make me play the C note on the 2nd string at the top of those measures…that’s just me.

The notes are great, identical to mando except for the 2nd beat in measure 5.

1 Like

Yup, I literally just came here to change measure 5. I played it again and caught it.

Lemme play around with your single string idea to see if I can make it sound right. I was trying to not get too single stringy.

OK, here it is with the single string 4th and 8th measures.

I can’t decide which I like better. They’re just different.

And now for something completely different. You may decide this is taking a little too much liberty with your song, which is cool, but it definitely rings more.

1 Like

So there are two different approaches. If you want to play in unison with me (like on the last pass through in our arrangement), then you hit it note for note. But if I was going to play a solo on banjo for the song I’d do something more like your last image here. I would want to hear/play a banjo interpretation of the melody.

1 Like

Maybe I just needed a good night’s sleep, but the B part came to me much faster this morning. I like the way it turned out. Not exactly note for note, but really pretty. B part starts at the end of measure 27.

I don’t suppose we’ll ever get this file upload issue fixed?

Let’s see if this works.
https://camquest-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/mrocka_cqsys_com/EXlFrSGbaDBAtBq8Wi5cp6wBLcSjBOOMbf3KKI6cNHDBKw?e=XCdIEq

1 Like

Yep, that worked! I love it! It would be a good challenge to get the banjo notes exactly note for note for the unison pass.

1 Like

My first lesson to complete in over 2 years…. And it’s a mandolin lesson. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I got it up to speed this morning. Need to work on cleaning it up.

14 Likes

greatjob1 @Mark_Rocka

2 Likes

Very impressive! To be able to do it in quick time. :slight_smile:

2 Likes