Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Colin Major from Englewood, CO!

What was it that first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
I started playing guitar to get the girl. Shortly after that I fell in love with learning guitar and couldn’t put it down. My Love of Bluegrass came many years later after attending my first Telluride Bluegrass Festival.

How long have you been playing and what’s your motivation to play?
20 years. I think it is a great moving meditation. I can lose myself in the music and get through any hard times life throws my way. My motivation to improve is my curiosity to see what I can physically and mentally accomplish. With practice anything is possible.

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
I really enjoyed his break on Blackberry Blossom on guitar. It encouraged me to step outside of the main melody of a fiddle tune and add some of your own flare.

What’s your goal when playing?
To have fun!

Are there any other instruments or genres of music that you enjoy playing?
I play jazz, rock, blues, and country guitar styles on guitar, bass, banjo, and mandolin.

How long have you been a Gold Pick member?
maybe since 2012…

Do you have a favorite technique? What is it?
double stops and utilizing open strings.

If you could play in anyone’s band, who would it be and why?
Tedeski Trucks Band cause of that crazy good feel!

What type of gear or accessories have you found that work best for you?
On my acoustic instruments I love my Fishman Loudbox amp. Lots of head room and great tone for all my instruments.

If money was no object, what would be your dream instrument(s)?
Probably a Collings es335 type guitar with all the bells and whistles. Oh, and a Two Rock Classic Reverb amp

If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
Play guitar and edit videos

Thanks for letting us feature you Colin!

Check out Colin playing Whiskey Before Breakfast!

10 Likes

Colin, congrats on being gpotw! Thanks for taking the time to share a little about yourself and wishing you all the best in your musical pursuits :smiley:

gif Colin on being selected this weeks Gold Pick Member

Congrats and welcome, Colin! Hope to see you around the forum!

Plus one on that :+1: I love my mini. Even when I don’t need the stage volume with a PA, I still keep it inline for the sound I get from it.

Nice to get to know you!