Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Closed G-minor (etc.) Chord Shapes

I’ve had some extra time lately for “string therapy”…thanks to a minor adjustment to my “retired guy” schedule. Suffice it to say that my practice has been a mix of learning some of the common jam tunes (St. Anne’s Reel, Liberty, Cherokee Shuffle, etc.) as well as learning (or re-learning) some closed chord shapes. I’m using a common closed A-chord shape that can be used up the neck and morphed into Amin, A7 and Amin7. I can use these shapes all the way up to F (and variants) and tend to do this as it is easier to do the minor, 7th and min7th than using the closed shapes on the ADG strings (muting the E).

My question is…is it common to play these closed shapes way up the neck? Or, should I be trying to find/play closed chord shapes lower on the neck? I don’t wanna look like a dork at my next jam…

1 Like

Hi Ron! Not exactly sure which alternate chord shapes you’re taking about. I’m guessing it’s not the standard “big chop” shapes…

I do not play the standard big chop shapes at all. I play these shapes chopping & sometimes ringing out and even arpeggiated (using A & Am as examples):

I’ve gone up as far as E & Em (9th fret) with this shape, depending on the song. It’s not often I go past D (7th fret) though. For me, the song really determines where/how far up the neck I play that shape. Sometimes I play alternate 3 fingered chords when I don’t want to go way up there - for either convenience or tone. Your ear will tell you if going up that high on the neck fits the material at hand. I like this shape for the ease of switching to minor like you mentioned. Plus the associated 4 & 5 chords corresponding to that neck location are super convenient as well.

As long as the tone is good for the song that’s being played, and your timing is good, in my opinion, it doesn’t matter what it looks like your hands are doing on the fretboard. No worries about looking like a “dork” at the next jam if ya sound good using different chords! Unless, ofc, you actually dress to look like a dork… as in unmatching plaid and striped shirts and pants, etc … :sweat_smile::grin:

Seriously though, hope this somewhat answered your question!!

Good Morning Simone

Thanks for the comments (and fashion tips!). I’m using that A shape you showed and have experimented with going as high as an F…but that’s a long way up there. I generally use the three string pattern for C, D, E and F but it’s a bit of a stretch for me to turn those into minor chords and still get good tone. Usually what happens is the D string gets muted or muffled by my finger on the A string…I’m pretty sure I can just keep working on this and it will get better/easier. Meanwhile if I need a A, B, C or D minor, 7th or min7th I know I can easily get to it using the shape you showed. Anyway, enough typing…I have just enough time to do a little mandolin practice before heading to the gym. Have a great day! (Now, where are my plaid pants?..)

2 Likes