Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Clawhammer Query

Hi Guy’s. Many many years ago I tried to learn clawhammer banjo. But I just couldn’t get it to sound right. So I have a few questions to help me understand why I didn’t progress like I have with 3 finger style. As I recall I did learn the right had dum diddy strum pattern but I could barely hear the melody come through even though I was playing a resonator banjo. So my questions are as follows.

1. Do you use a pick in clawhammer and if so which finger do you place it.
  2. Am I right in thinking that in clawhammer you only play down the neck.
  3. Fretting the banjo do you use mostly use closed chords, partial chords or fret single string.
  4. Does playing the neck in clawhammer differ to Scruggs or is there no difference
  5. What are the popular tunings used in clawhammer or is it standard G

I’ve left it a bit late to begin learning to play clawhammer but I’d be happy if I could knock out at least one simple tune.

2 Likes

I find clawhammer banjo interesting but I have my hands full with bluegrass. Maybe later I’ll sign up for a Cabin Camp with Ben to learn clawhammer.

You can get some of your answers here–https://www.deeringbanjos.com/blogs/banjo-playing-tips/the-deering-clawhammer-method-part-1

3 Likes
  1. Many people use picks like these and place on index or middle, your preference.
  2. Nope, players go up the neck too, but not as much as bluegrass
  3. Usually a mixture of partials and single strings
  4. It usually differs a bit b/c of the preferred tunings
  5. The most common are double C and sawmill

7 Likes

Thanks @BanjoBen that’s really helpful

1 Like

Hey @Archie. I’ve been playing clawhammer since Christmas and went to the clawhammer section of Ben’s camp. So I’m no expert, but I have been going through the struggles of getting good clawhammer sound. So here are a few pointers:

• Play as close to the neck as possible—many open backs have “frailing scoops” to allow playing over where the last few frets would be, but playing close to the neck works as well.
  • You need to try both your middle and pointer fingers. One will feel more natural and therefore give better sound. I use my middle finger— I hope it’s not an indication that I’ve exercised that one more over the years. :blush:
  • I have significantly better sound with a fingernail that extends just past the tip of my finger. Many say it doesn’t matter, but it does for me. The others may have larger nails that sound good even when clipped. I need the extra surface area.
  • I’ve also tried just about every clawhammer pick on the market (including what Ben recommended). They all have pros and cons, but I’ve settled on the cling pro made in Canada. It most duplicates your nail and stays in place real well. I had to sand the tip back a little, though. The metal one Ben recommended is very comfortable, but I like a more mellow sound and that pick is a little too bright for my tastes. But it may work perfect for you. Ben sells others that sound mellow (really great actually), but they didn’t fit my fingers very well.
  • And lastly, my resonator banjo (a Nechville) sounds weak as a clawhammer as well. I suspect that loosening the head may help. The clawhammer sound is pretty much 180 degrees off from the traditional three finger bluegrass sound. I ended up getting an open back Ome with a 12” pot and a scoop that has a nice low end sound for clawhammer. And I keep the head tension around 89.

Hope this helps. I’m enjoying clawhammer, but will also keep working on three finger. I started late sort of like you (I’m approaching 61). I’m hoping to be an okay player by 90. :grin:

Take care,
Jeff

6 Likes

Thanks Jeff, I was hoping to hear from someone who had been to the Camp where clawhammer was taught. Thank you for sharing the pointers.

3 Likes

Thanks Jeff that was very helpful. I think the reason why I didn’t stick with clawhammer was because I couldn’t get much volume on the melody. My finger nails are very thin and I too would use my middle finger. However as a child I had an injury to that finger and it was black and full of nasty stuff until my father saw it and lanced it with a needle. It was very painful and the old nail fell off. It took an age for a new one to grow back. I keep my nails very short so I guess that doesn’t help much. I turn 74 this year and I took up the banjo at 61 and I feel as though I am just beginning to get the hang of this Scruggs style. It’s been a fun journey especially with @BanjoBen there to provide so much help and encouragement.

5 Likes