Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Clawhammer Christmas Spectacular!

Let’s learn some clawhammer Christmas tunes, y’all!

This is the place to post questions and progress videos as you take the course with Dave!

7 Likes

@ClawhammerDave, Thank you! This was a lot of fun! Looking forward to next week!
Is there a Clawhammer version of the Canticle of the Turning that you can point me towards… or should I simply find the Star of the Country Down and go from there?
Thank you!

1 Like

Good morning. I have been watching the first clawhammer video to try to understand the right hand position and strike. I am struggling as the fifth string on my banjo (Deering Sierra and Golden Era) as they feel like they have low string height. They play well for Scruggs playing and were just setup, but trying to land my thumb (and strike the other strings also) is difficult as they all seem to strike the neck as my finger strikes them on the down stroke.
Any suggestions or will this be a struggle, or it normal and just a learning issue?
Thanks!

Spent some more time trying to get a decent strike but I find the rim height above the head causes me to not have much room at all to land my thumb on my 5th string as it seems to want to push over and past. I replayed Daves views and his looks like the rim is maybe if not flush with the head. Can you have him elaborate on that this Thursday during the lesson?
Thank you!

1 Like

I understand. It is a little bit more challenging to play clawhammer style on a banjo set-up for 3-finger bluegrass playing. It’s because there is not as much room to get in there and strike the notes or pop the 5th without bumping into the instrument itself. It can be done, but you have to play smoother and not as strong or loud. On a banjo set-up for clawhammer playing, we usually have a little more breathing room between the strings and the instrument. One thing you can do is start playing back a closer to the bridge, as the strings may be a little higher and less “loose” feeling at that location. You’ll get away from the neck too. It won’t sound as “mellow,” but may be more playable. have more luck striking the notes with more clarity.

1 Like

Thanks for your question. I’ll see what I can do. Maybe I’ll add that to my list of songs to teach in the New Year.

2 Likes

Thanks Dave. Again thoroughly enjoying your teaching.

Here is a photo of the neck, string and rim area if you can give any suggestions in tomorrows lesson in case others are having the same issue.
banjo%20neck

It may just be the angle, but that seems like a crazy low action. Do you get any fret buzz anywhere along the neck?

If you’ve ever seen any of Dave’s banjos, you’ll notice that most (all?) of his necks are “scooped” near the the rim. So, not only are there no frets, there’s a section that’s actually lower than the fretboard.

I can definitely see me, as a complete novice to clawhammer, having a hard time playing that style with an action that low. I was having trouble with my own banjo at the October camp for what I thought was a low action, and yours looks even lower.

I agree @Mark_Rocka just wonder how tall the bridge is. Many Asian banjos come fitted with a 3/8 inch bridge and I suspect the bridge on this banjo could be similar. I’d be interested to hear what is considered as a standard bridge on a clawhammer banjo.

That is with a 5/8 bridge on a Deering Sierra and I have the same 5/8 Deering Smile Bridge on my Deering Golden Era also. I just got both back from a luthier who specializes in banjos and no buzz at all. That’s why I had taken them in to him because of buzz around the 4th feet after moving to Va from Vegas.

1 Like

Hi @bobskart Bobby thanks for the feedback on the bridge height. From the angle of the photo it’s not showing much air. Might be advantageous to measure it and compare with @Jake 's banjo setup

I measured both. Both are 1/32 from the fingerboard. And maybe 1/64 from rim height to 5th string.

1 Like

That’s pretty low for clawhammer style. Maybe you could get an extra bridge, maybe a 11/16 or 3/4 bridge you could use just when practicing claw. Or, did you try playing claw up closer to the bridge where there might be a little more room under the strings? The tone won’t be the same, but it might make it easier to play.

1 Like

Thanks @ClawhammerDave that pretty much answers my question. I’d always thought that one needed a low bridge for clawhammer. I have 5/8ths on my Twanger and 11/16 on my Stelling but I don’t play clawhammer.

I will order another bridge and put on one of them to try. Thanks, and yes, I did try over the head and it is much more playable for the right hand there but yes loss of head vibration since over it.

Also when you strike the second third and fourth string, does you finger strike others or strike that finger and stop before sounding the next lower string?

1 Like

Lots, not loss of head vibration (echo)

1 Like

Hi Dave,
Really enjoyed the Jingle Bell lesson and Buddy Greene and Kate. So much good talent there. I really struggled with clawhammer technique of playing everything on the down stroke after years of playing 3 finger style. I’m getting the hang of it, though. If Mike Snider can do it, why can’t I? LOL Looking forward to tonight’s lesson.
Gary

2 Likes

Yes last night was another great lesson. After playing three finger style, and sometimes trying to find a way to fit it into songs where it isn’t as natural a sound with my playing, this is a great addition. Looking forward to continuing for sure.

1 Like

Last night’s lesson was so much fun and, for me, it put everything together when they played God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen in a performance tempo. I love hearing the songwriters sing their music. I hadn’t heard Shepherds’ Watch or from last week, The Canticle of the Turning. I enjoyed that Katy and Penny were there, too. This was one of the best lessons so far.

2 Likes

Hey Dave, Merry Christmas from Canada! I’m loving the lessons even though I can’t attend live. Slowing figuring out clawhammer…your lessons are a God-send, not to mention having a spectacular new banjo to work with. I thought I’d break the seal on posting a practice video…and this was a one-take wonder…I knew it wasn’t gonna get any better doing it again :). I’m sure I’m doing a hundred or so things wrong, but just loving it…and Christmas carols sound SO good on clawhammer…well, at least when you play them!.

6 Likes