Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Check out this pretty lady

Check out this pretty lady that landed in my YouTube Channel today

4 Likes

Wow, never seen anything quite like that before!

1 Like

Interesting. Is it really a plastic banjo? (OK-technically carbon fibers are not plastic.) I cannot find any info about Manann Instruments other than this video.
It is pretty, but who ever gets to see the back of a banjo?
(Actually, this reminds me of a question that has been bugging me. Why are so many banjos so decorated, but guitars are generally plain? G.K. Chesterton says “We decorate the things we love.”)

1 Like

It’s an Irish built banjo. I think they are testing the water to see what interest there is out there. It would seem that the Minstrel, Jazz and Celtic Tenor banjos are the most decorated. You could learn a lot more visiting this place

https://americanbanjomuseum.com/

1 Like

It’s actually a long term destination for us. Since my daughter lives in California I’m always planning different road/rail trips to visit her.

1 Like

Hearing an instrument over the internet with various recording equipment, recording techniques and effects/EQ, not to mention the audio compression used after to place the file on the internet is a bit of a crapshoot. That said, what I could hear had a very warm sound for a banjo. I liked the tone although I would not consider it an ideal tone for a bluegrass instrument; not aggressive enough or bright enough. It does have a nice controlled mid-range pop to the notes. It sounds like it would be a great instrument to sing along to (not something you would normally say about a good 5 string banjo with a resonator). It looked like it may have a truss rod in the neck (not all carbon fiber stringed instrument have this) which makes it more adjustable for neck relief to fit the preference of the owner. It’s very pretty. I like it.

2 Likes

Somehow I don’t tink this banjo was built for bluegrass, Pretty sure it will sing a lot of Irish Celtic tunes and be baptised with many pints of Guinness and Porter.

2 Likes

sounds like it would fit great in Kenny Chesney styled songs.

2 Likes

Agreed.

1 Like