Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Check out this cool guy I met in Texas!

It’s a small chain with only 40 stores in Texas & Alabama according to their website. .

I’d never heard of it.

Cleanest bathrooms in America

2 Likes

Wow Guys! That was stunning!! Way to go!!!:+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

It’s basically a HUGE truck stop that caters to interstate travelers. You can literally find Buc-ee’s billboards hundreds of miles before you get to their exit. They have all kinds of cool snacks, some decent food, and loads of souvenirs.

1 Like

Bummed I missed them on my two trips to Texas. Both trips were for work with non-stop drives from & to MI. Didn’t have much free time to explore TX.

Once to build a motel and once for power restoration. after hurricane Ike

1 Like

Beaver nuggets!!! :+1:

1 Like

Hi @Mark_Rocka I very much see myself as a Brit/Scot. Only the SNP is seeking to break ties with the rest of the UK. They just fail to see their proposal to break away was rejected.

1 Like

KFCs are fine, Gunnar. But in moderation.

At my age I see the damage fast food outlets are doing to our young people. Lots of children and young adults are grossly overweight and suffering from eating disorders and diabetes. Our Government are oblivious to what the food industry is doing and blaming parents. A bit like they did with the tobacco industry. They are content to collect the revenue from taxation whilst looking the other way. End of rant.

1 Like

I wish that were the case in the US. Our government is actually facilitating it. The number of government paid studies that have been used to push a low fat diet is staggering. Our government food subsidy programs actually pay farmers to grow junk food crops, which is why there’s so much corn, wheat, and soy grown here. That also makes it cheaper to keep cattle indoors and feed them junk grains rather than put them out to pasture, which then means the meat we eat isn’t as healthy as it should be. Same thing with chickens.

If it were just industry up to no good, the market could easily correct itself. With the government involved, it’s a whole different ball game.

1 Like

A-men. Everyone knows those fearful words:…“I’m from the Government and I’m here to help you”…

1 Like

Hi @Mark_Rocka I have first hand experience of what our famers and government research establishments have been up to for years. When I left school I worked in an animal feed mill and saw all the ingredients that went into the feeds. It’s all about yields. Artificial fertiliser to increase crop yields which is then fed to animals & poultry. Sweetener’s such as sugar beet, palm kernel, brewers tailing’s and molasses, animal and vegetable fats were added to the mix to bind the ingredients to form pellets. The feed is then consumed which then produces higher meat yields.

When I was in my teens your rarely saw overweight kids. Now it’s hard to find a child that is not overweight. I wrote to the Lancet with a more detailed report about what I knew and they dismissed me out of hand. Speaks volumes.

2 Likes

Another thing I’ve noticed. When I was a youngster, kids just seemed more physically active. We didn’t have all the computer games, etc… that now keep kids on the sofa in an inactive state. So back then we were always outside running around, building forts in the woods, having mock battles, biking, hiking, hunting, building stuff and so forth.

Of course, someone will point out (my kids) that I spend a good deal of time sitting around picking banjo or guitar. Well, maybe I should try picking while jogging to combine practice with physical fitness. I guess it worked well for those folks in Archie’s video. :wink:

2 Likes

It’s a different world today, Neil. Sadly, we live in an area with one of the highest human trafficking incidences in the US. My daughter is 13, and it scares me to death to allow her to do the things I took for granted at her age. It really makes me sad, but the only alternative I can think of is to move, which means leaving all of our family.

2 Likes

My Doc keeps telling me I need to do more exercise. Really Doc? I said. I already spend eight hours a day pickin banjo.

2 Likes

I agree @Mark_Rocka Check out the news from the High Court in Scotland today. We are living in sad times for sure.

I would say that overweight kids could EASILY be blamed more on lack of exercise than fast food. Everyone today sits around with their eyes glued to technology. The minds of these kids are being destroyed because of it. It is really sad. We need to be continually praying for our countries, both the common people and our government leaders all the way from a town clerk to the President.
Also, as a side note (which I am sure will stir up disagreement), at least in referring to dairy cattle, a lot of bigger farms that keep their cows indoors have healthier cows than those that are sent out to pasture. The cows are exposed to so many more infections, diseases, and foot problems when they are out to pasture. The white blood cell counts are usually a lot higher, which means they are fighting more health issues.
I would agree though, in regards to beef cattle, they are not fed as healthy as they should be. But at the same time, every other businessman out there is trying to make the most amount of money that they can. Most people don’t criticize Apple for coming out with a new iPhone every year or Mcdonalds for creating a new sandwich to sell. Farmers are trying to increase their yields in crops, dairy, and beef for all the same resaons that other businesses are trying to increase their profits.
Why do we get upset? Why does everyone get angry about GMO’s and artificial growth hormones? Because it affects us directly! I am not saying that I agree with all these things. I think there is legitimate concern for these problems (although a lot of the arguments about how harmful GMO’s are have not really been proven).
I am sorry if I have got a little carried away. I just get a little upset when people start raving about big farms and how they are doing all these horrible things. They are just trying to make a living like you and me.
I hope all of you BBC Forum Friends have a blessed night! :grinning:

2 Likes

Hi Micah

We live in a world today that is far removed from my childhood. In many ways it’s a better world but in many way’s it is not. Here in the UK our doctors, media and our politicians blame parents for children being obese. When in reality it’s what goes into our food chain that’s at the root of the problem. Exercise is a factor as is siting around with eyes glued to a screen.

I really don’t think keeping dairy cows in a shed is good for cows. Cows have grazed in Gods garden pastures since the bringing of time without too many health issues so sticking them in a shed on a concrete floor, feeding them silage and pellet feed whilst pumping them full of antibiotics is hardly healthy living for a cow. It’s convenient for the farmers and they can make a lot more money. But that’s another debate altogether.

1 Like

I am not saying that pumping them full of antibiotics is healthy living for cows. But you are right, this could be a long debate, so we can agree to disagree on some things.

One big problem I see, is that while it’s nice seeing cows out grazing in a pasture and conjures up visions of farm scene paintings, the reality is, that using a pasture to raise livestock is notoriously inefficient as the animal tramps-down most of the grass upon which it’s feeding. Absent modern farming techniques, mass starvation of humans could become a concern.

1 Like

Look up Tim Hawkins’ song Jimmy Buffet for president on YouTube. It has no relevance to this conversation, but since we’re so off topic anyway, a little laugh can’t hurt

3 Likes