Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Changing The Head

Just Changed the head on My Rickard Maple Whyte Laydie open back Banjo went with one of John Balch’s natural Goat Skin Heads, there was nothing wrong with the old head that came on it but I wanted to see what it would sound like with a natural skin head and man I love the way it now sounds it gave it that old time clunky plucky sound which I have been looking for.
I have had this head for a couple weeks now and was scared to attempt the change myself as i am new to banjo but it was actually a pretty simple process took approximately 30-45 minuets.
if anyone unfamiliar with doing a head change just keeps putting it off because you are afraid to put it out of your head and just do it, its not hard at all, it is well worth the few minuets of time it takes in my opinion, what surprised me after watching videos of how to do it is just how loose a banjo bridge actually is on a banjo.

Thanks for reading

6 Likes

I’ve heard horror stories form the old days about natural skin heads.
I’ll be watching for a follow-up on how long it lasts for you.
I heard an interview with Earl Scruggs where said he went thru a period where he was busting a head every week! Of course, he was required to play outdoors in the heat, humidity & rain.

2 Likes

Back then Joe they used vellum skin and they were more susceptible to expansion and shrinkage due to the changes in humidity & heat. The modern head is made of plastic

2 Likes

I don’t think these are plastic!

1 Like

@BanJoe you are correct they are not plastic they are actually goat skin John Balch saves you a lot of the work and the headaches by pre mounting them I also read all the horror stories but I have also read a lot of good about them the way Mr Balch does them they are pretty much like installing a plastic head believe me I was nervous while changing mine but it was actually pretty simple I am vary happy with the outcome and especially the sound the banjo produced once the skin head was installed,most of the horror stories I read was due to humidity which is not bad in Arizona that is why I decided to go ahead and try one and if it does not last I always have the head that came on the Rickard to re install

1 Like