Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Can you add a lead in to TEF in loops

Hi,

I like using TEF to practice parts of the songs by highlighting particular parts. Is there a way to add a lead in (just a stock beat sound for 1,2,3,4) so it doesn’t just jump back to the beginning of the loop after the part I highlighted is over?

Thanks

3 Likes

Great question Keith. The simple answer is yes you can but you’ll need TablEdit to edit the TEF File and some knowledge of editing.

4 Likes

Not sure, but I’d just copy the measure(s) you want to loop and paste them to a new TEF. Then you could insert a 4 beat count in.

4 Likes

@ambergkeith, If I understand your issue correctly, I would workaround it this way without having to edit the tab. When I highlight, I would highlight from a full measure before. (I do that, btw). The ending of the part before your part would act as a prelude for you to be able to repeat and practice your part again.

The only time I would have trouble with that is with the first part (starting part) when Ben’s tab would have no prelude or blank measure, which btw is rare.

1 Like

A good place to start & end a loop is a Tag Lick ( G Lick ) or Pinches. These are often already written into the TAB so all you have to do is highlight the section and your good to go that’s assuming we are talking about banjo TABs not sure what you’d do for a Geetar & Mandolin

2 Likes

Archie, I’m not sure I understand the terminology, but I wonder if the pictured is what it would translate into??

In guitar, old spinning wheel… here is how I would highlight to play from middle of 6 to middle of 10…

Hi John Likewise I’m at a loss reading guitar & mando TABs. Perhaps @Mark_Rocka can jump in here and add his thoughts.

1 Like

The instrument doesn’t matter; all you need is an extra bar or two at the front of the highlighted section to get re-oriented in the song. So if you wanted to practice measures 10-12 in a given song, highlight measure 9 along with it to give you a bit of time to reset.

4 Likes

If you want to practice multiple sections of a song one at a time and have a lead in count, you’ll have to copy each section and paste it into a new TEF file. To my knowledge, there’s no way to have the app add a count in before a highlighted section without changing the TEF file itself.

3 Likes

I do that but sometimes I was wondering if there was a way to just do a blank lead in. I play a lot of rocksmith and they have a feature in that game called riff repeater which is basically what TEF does except it does a lead in and was wondering if that was possible.

There’s not a way unless you edit the file yourself.

2 Likes

So, I’ve been working on God Rest ye Merry Gentlemen and what I’ve been doing is overlapping. So, I’ll work on about 4 - 6 measures at a time and when I have that at a decent speed I’ll take the last few measures and the next 2-4 or whatever and do the same thing. I think it actually works better than a lead in. I’ve got parts 1 and 2 almost up to speed this way and hope to have the whole thing by x-mas.

2 Likes

That’s pretty much the approach I take Keith, although at times I copy and paste to create a new TAB to focus on complex sections. I have been known to start from the end of a tune and work towards the beginning. May seem a little unusual but if you think about it, your always playing notes and licks you have already learned and are fresh in your memory.

Over time you’ll find your own solutions, never be afraid to experiment.

2 Likes