Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Calton case - worth it?

I just got a brand new Deering Vega #2 - it took 14 months to get and it’s beautiful. I am thinking of getting a Calton case for it. After investing that much in a banjo and knowing I will be traveling with it from time to time it seems like a good investment. What do you think?

3 Likes

I think so. If nothing else it’s a good place to put your stickers.

9 Likes

Stickers are the best form of added protection!

6 Likes

I have one Calton and my guess is that if you are asking about it, you won’t regret it. One caveat: all that protection weighs a significant amount. Add a banjo to that case and you have a legitimate heavyweight.

3 Likes

@kingoftoast I purchased one last year prior to traveling to Montana for Cabin Camp. Highly recommend. Ben sells them through the General Store.

2 Likes

I use a fabric backpack-type case for jamming, but have a hard-shell “Airline Proof” case for travel. The latter IS heavy, but the airline employees can throw it around, and run over it with the baggage trailer, and it will be OK. I have had to mail mine across the country for repairs as well, and that heavy-duty case was just the ticket. My suggestion is save the packing box your case comes in, in case you have to do that. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve had a Calton case for my banjo for a few years and recently got one for my guitar. I would recommend it for anyone wanting to protect their instrument while traveling. I don’t have to worry about it being bounced around under the bus or handled by other people and the case is still as protective as it was when it was new.

4 Likes

I’m glad you asked this, I’ve been thinking the same thing. I thought I read somewhere recently (maybe here) that the black cases can get pretty warm on a hot summer day. Do any existing owners think that’s a factor?

Someone posted on another thread that the white cases stay relatively cool even in the sun. I did end up ordering one of these today. I got green which should be cooler than black but not as cool as white. I can’t see me leaving it in the sun ever anyway. Plus I’m sure I’ll adorn it with stickers.

3 Likes

I have a seafoam green banjo case and a black guitar case. It seems to make sense that a black case would get hotter so I try not to leave mine in the direct sun. I would try not to with any case though

1 Like

With all those stickers you don’t need to worry about your precious Calton being scratched in transit
https://youtube.com/shorts/OyUM5luZ3kA?si=-stVMevc_zB_8No9

1 Like