Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Cabin Camp 2020 Registration!

Hey @Michael_Mark, are you gonna be at camp in March? I’ll be fulfilling your wish for more youth to show up

3 Likes

Yes, I am planning to be there! It’ll be great to meet everyone!

3 Likes

@Dragonslayer and @Michael_Mark some people have all the luck. I will be there in spirit though…

4 Likes

I don’t believe in luck. But my musical endeavors have been most serendipitously blessed in several ways

5 Likes

I guess we are blessed in different ways. Like a new banjo.

3 Likes

I made it in the April Camp (Guitar)… This is my first one. Looking forward to meeting everyone! Coming from Central Florida…

6 Likes

Hello 5-String Pilgrim,
Reading your bio we have much in common. Christian, husband, dad, grandpa, banjo & guitar picker… I also started playing at an early age, but pawned all my instruments after I was married to raise my wonderful family. I picked the banjo back up about 5 years ago (playing a little at church) and most recently (back in January) purchased a guitar, which is where I’m putting my focus at this time in life.

3 Likes

Hello @Chuck_R
It is good to meet you. I went to the March 2019 camp with my guitar because the banjo slots filled up. What a blessing. I got a banjo slot this time. I can’t wait.

I come up with the 5-String Pilgrim at camp after I met the @5stringpreacher . The people are great!

4 Likes

Hey Gunnar, I’m taking my daughter to see The Purple Hulls play tonight. I’ll try to remember to confirm it’s Abby teaching bass at camp for you.

3 Likes

Cool! I’m not going for bass, I just wanted to pick with her :joy: and you’re taking your daughter to see them? What a selfless dad you are… :joy::roll_eyes::wink::joy:

3 Likes

I’m not gonna pretend. I’m going whether she goes or not. She’s just along for the ride. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

It’s confirmed. Abby is teaching bass. Her class is full for the first camp. Still no sign ups for the second, though.

3 Likes

Hmm, I could use to learn some bass… now to find 700$ lying around somewhere…
Well cool, I’m looking forward to getting to pick with real people, and the fact that some of them are the purple hulls is just icing!

5 Likes

I took the bass spots off the 2nd camp today for a time fo considering whether to offer them.

3 Likes

Hey guys. I’m a mid-level guitar player (probably a low end for the camp) and signed up to play guitar at the April camp. Trying to up my weekly practice time, but the list is pretty hard for me. Ben happened to pick several that I haven’t worked on and I’m a little slow on learning these. I still learning by tabs and I don’t have a good bag 'o licks yet. So much that I’m having second thoughts about whether the camp is good for this year. Don’t want to be the slow dude at camp. Anyone else facing this? Hard to judge where I should be.

4 Likes

@archer
I went to the first camp with guitar. I could play about 10 or 12 chords. The day I signed up for camp was the first day I had ever considered pick strokes. I practiced everyday for three months. The last month I concentrated on learning the chords for playing backup. In a nutshell, the camp was one of the best experiences of my life. I’ve been working on things I picked up at camp every since.

@Mark_Rocka has a post in the song list thread that lays out a proven strategy to learn new songs. Check it out.

3 Likes

The camp is about learning. and getting comfortable being around others with your instrument…you’ll fit right in.

Many who are going are in the same boat as you. Last year they expressed concerns before the camp and afterwards had nothing but great things to say about the experience.

I doubt you will find a more inclusive atmosphere than at Ben’s…even though I could never afford to go myself I’m familiar with the experiences of those who have, and there’s nothing I can think of that I’d rather do…

go!

3 Likes

Hi John @archer By the end of the camp you will go home with a bag chock full of licks. The purpose of these camps is a place to learn NOT to compete. So it does not matter what level student you are, you will leave the camp with more knowledge and skills than you came with. We all get apprehensive visiting new places and meeting new people. So stop filling your head with negative thoughts and concentrate on all the fun your gonna have. Trust me you’ll be fine @BanjoBen and his team will make sure of that. Go have fun you wont regret it

2 Likes