Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Build Question

I first bought an MD305 oval, sold it and bought A Style Pava, sold it and thinking I want another for home play… my first one was too bright sounding. Wanting one less bright and a wide nut. I’ve been looking at a Big Muddy Primitive 1 1/4 Wide Nut. Anyone here have any knowledge of these. I don’t know much or rather nothing lol but I guess the one I’m looking at is referred to as a pancake-flatiron style???

If you’re really looking to tone down a bright mandolin, I would first look at a different type of strings (like monels) and a thicker pick with a round edge before looking into a new mandolin.
I don’t have any experience with that mandolin, but it’s extremely difficult to know how a different instrument will actually affect how you sound by listening to sound samples. Playing a bunch of mandolins in the same room (irregardless if you’re looking to purchase them or not) can often give you a better picture of how your individual sound stays consistent across instruments.

3 Likes

Jake at the General Store is a walking encyclopedia of picks and tone. I recently bought his signature pick and couldn’t believe the increased brightness it brings to my mando and guitar over my BlueChip.

Might want to give him a call and ask him about it.