Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Bruce Sanford from Alberta, Canada!

What was it that first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
Love of music and the challenge to learn!

How long have you been playing and what’s your motivation to play?
Bought my first guitar at 15, got a 5 string banjo at 28(still own it). So I have had various instruments for 50 plus years. My motivation is still the same: challenge of learning, love of music, and personal pleasure.

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
Finger picking and banjo rolls

What’s your goal when playing?
Don’t make mistakes

Are there any other instruments or genres of music that you enjoy playing?
I also have a peavey power slide tuned open G, a classical accoustic/electric and an electric solid body.

How long have you been a Gold Pick member?
A long time…back when a lifetime Gold Pick cost $75 (ha!)

Do you have a favorite technique? What is it?
I like flat pickin with and without picks.

If you could play in anyone’s band, who would it be and why?
Could’nt possibly name a favorite because I like so many bands. I am partial to bluegrass, rockabilly, 60s rock&roll and Hawaiian steel.

What type of gear or accessories have you found that work best for you?
I have a (zookies) angled thumb pick that I really like and brass finger picks give a nice sound, all of my finger picks are dunlop. I really like (john pearse) light on the banjo. I’m undecided what to restring my powerslide with.

If money was no object, what would be your dream instrument(s)?
Top of the line Deering 5 string and second or Gibson 1957 Les Paul custom ebony3 pickup Bigsby

If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
practice practice

Thanks for letting us feature you, Bruce!

16 Likes

Congratulations for being featured this week! How is the weather in Alberta by the way?

1 Like

Congratulations Bruce. I’d enjoy jamming with you. Practice, practice indeed. Keep on picking!

1 Like

Bruce, congrats on being the gpotw! Thanks for sharing the info and musical bio. I’ve never used brass fingerpicks…I may have to give that a try!

1 Like

Congrats Bruce! Liked your bio.

1 Like

Congrats Bruce!

1 Like

$75 Gold Pick? That was a while back and still worth every penny. Congratulations!

4 Likes

Congratulations from you neighbor to the south…in Montana!

2 Likes

gif Bruce on being selected as this weeks Gold Pick Member

1 Like

Congratulations

1 Like

Hey spring is definitely in the air. Snow is mostly gone. Where r u located

2 Likes

Thanks

2 Likes

We live just NE of Owosso, Michigan on our 200-acre farm. Retired from Engineering now, so practicing guitar and banjo intensely now. We have relatives near Calgary.

2 Likes