Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Brent Young from Cheyenne, Wyoming

What was it that first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
I inherited my dad’s Gibson A1 mandolin. I had it restrung along with some other minor work and then really wanted to try and learn a few songs.

How long have you been playing and what’s your motivation to play?
I’ve been playing a little over two years. My dad could play anything he picked up. It’s a different story for me. I just really wanted to have a little fun and try something I’ve never done.

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
Lately I’ve been reviewing the chop lessons. I love the sound. I thought it would be easy but there’s more to it than I had thought!

What’s your goal when playing?
When I start a new song my goal is to get from beginning to end without stopping. Still a beginner!

Are there any other instruments or genres of music that you enjoy playing?
I enjoy gospel bluegrass. About the only other instrument I can play is the lilac leaf. I picked that one up early in life!

How did you find out about Banjo Ben?
I found it just searching the internet trying to find anything to help me learn.

How long have you been a Gold Pick member?
I think a little over two years. I purchased my lessons on a monthly basis for a while and then was hooked so I signed up for the Gold Pick membership.

Do you have a favorite technique? What is it?
I don’t really have one. They are all fun to explore and try to learn.

If you could play in anyone’s band, who would it be and why?
I’ve got to say it’s probably Banjo Ben and his sisters. What a great sound! I love their gospel sound.

What type of gear or accessories have you found that work best for you?
I came across some wooden picks and really like them. Other than that I haven’t tried much else. My mandolin came to me wrapped in a baby blanket inside another bag. I probably should look for a case at some point.

If money was no object, what would be your dream instrument(s)?
I wish I had a great answer here. I’ve not tried anything other than what I have so I guess it would probably be a newly made mandolin so I could have one from the past and present.

If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
Practice the mandolin with Banjo Ben of course!

Anything else you’d like to add?
I’m happy I found Banjobenclark.com. While still a beginner, I can say I can now pick up the instrument and have some fun.

11 Likes

Congrats Brent, great to getting to know ya!

1 Like

Congrats on being GPOTW Brent! Nice mandolin! Hope to see you around the forum

2 Likes

Good to meet you!

2 Likes

Congrats Brent on GPOTW. Hope to see you here in the forum :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well said Brent. In one sentence you’ve capture the most important thing about banjobenclark. Playing becomes fun and there is always material to work on when you pick up an instrument. The other thing you’ll discover, is the quality of the tabs just can’t be beat. With accurate and great arrangements, you’ll know that the energy you’ve spent practicing was well-focused. Happy picking!

4 Likes