Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Boil em cabbage down forward roll

Hi everyone. I started my banjo journey about 9 years ago but due to an injury on my left hand, I took a very long break from stringed instruments all together. Finally at a place where I am back at it and I am 1. Thankful for this site as a resource and 2. Thrilled that the muscle memory is coming back. One issue I am running into is on the forward roll. Starting with either the middle or index finger I can solidly play without inconsistency at 140 beats per minute. But starting with the thumb on this just feels so unnatural. I’m slowing it way down and not trying to just play it fast but the half forward roll in this position just catches me every time. Any tips or trips to get past this? Appreciate y’all’s input

3 Likes

Hi @djpayne07 Dustin welcome back to @BanjoBen 's Forum I do hope you are fully recovered.

The best advice I can offer is what you are doing already, slowing things right down, working on that muscle memory and also allowing the brain time to adjust to the roll pattern. In time you will stop thinking about it and auto pilot will kick in, trust me if you ride a bike or drive a stick shift car you’ll know what I mean.

In the Forward Roll Lesson Boil Em Cabbage down Ben starts the thumb roll pattern on the 5th string which can be a little tricky to get your head round. 531 531 51 TIM TIM TM 8 eighth notes

To help you gain some control/co-ordination I would work on the follow forward roll pattern to begin with. Practice at least 15 minutes every day for about a month. Ist note is a quarter note followed by six eighth notes.

3- 531 531 T- TIM TIM repeat - once you can play this smoothly you should tackle other roll patterns then once you’ve nailed them mix them up. Work through Ben’s Beginner Learning Path and you will soon regain your strength and knowledge.

There is a lesson on this roll pattern but I can’t seem to find it right now.

3 Likes

Welcome back to the banjo @djpayne07! Isn’t your issue interesting? What I mean is that we know it’s completely mental, which is ultimately a good thing because it’s fixable. If you haven’t watched the lesson that Archie recommended, please do. I created that lesson for precisely this problem.

One thing you can try even now is start a forward roll with whatever finger is easiest, but accent the thumb much louder than the other fingers. Give it priority and see what happens.

3 Likes

Thank you for the suggestion, I will check this out during my visit practice time this evening.

2 Likes

Thank you for the input sir. I am going to check out the lesson he recommended later this evening. I am for sure glad it’s mental.

2 Likes

Welcome back @djpayne07! @BanjoBen and @Archie will be able to help you out! I had that trouble when I started out as well, but after lots of practice I now can start on any finger. Keep at it!

2 Likes

Hi @djpayne07 Dustin

This is the roll pattern that should help you gain control/co-ordination. It’s a slightly more advanced lesson than you are probably used to but the basic part of the roll pattern is fairly simple.

You can slow down and adjust the length of this loop to match your skill level.

1 Like

@Archie thanks! I’ll check it out!

Well I practice thru the forward roll exercise for about two hours last night. First thirty minutes there was no difference for me. I then decided to just strip it completely down. I did nothing but went through the entire exercise in all three starting positions with only my pick hand for almost an hour straight then spent the last half hour adding my fret hand back in at turtle speed building it up. I’m going to repeat the same thing again this evening. I am determined to end this week fully boiling that cabbage!

5 Likes

There is also a Speed Test Lesson when you want to challenge yourself.
Easy Does It !!!
Success Is The Sum of Small Efforts Repeated Day In, Day Out !!
Hang in there. :+1:

2 Likes