Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Bluegrass Purity Tests?

It’s hard to talk about orthodoxy when the “Father of Bluegrass” lived in my lifetime. Monroe was a trailblazer to be sure, but close on his heels were others who pushed the “established” bluegrass sound right in front of him. I listen to all types of music, from Led Zeppelin, to Bach, to Flatt and Scruggs, to Billy Strings, and Tyler Childers and I could care less about what it’s called; although it does help to give you an idea of what you’re going to listen to. As far as the Banjitar goes, it’ll either make it or it won’t; kind of like the autoharp. Hope I’m not missing the point here, just my 2 cents worth. Let’s enjoy ourselves making music!

3 Likes

I, too, am 70 and have a Stelling. I just never got “conditioned” to hold it comfortably. I use a strap but that only leaves my neck and shoulder sore. When I sit with it on my lap, it guillotines my legs. Even the wall it hangs on creeks when I put it on the hanger. I might as well put a strap on a piano and try to carry it around. I’m good with my Mando and 7 pound Blueridge. My fiddle is so light it floats on air but I think that there Banjer is trying to send to the twilight zone.

2 Likes

I have to concur Billy. It appears the young man’s already got his 10,000 hours in. I’m looking forward to following his career.

2 Likes

I really, really like Josh Swift’s style of Dobro playing. It’s not necessarily what I would think of as the “traditional” style of reso guitar, but it sounds great just the same and fits in with Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver’s sound quite well in my opinion.

3 Likes

You should check out the Gold Tone OB 150 I think it was, it’s got a lightweight tone ring. Also the deering John Hartford model, and there’s other lightweight banjos out there.

As I say it’s your choice Gary it’s not my intent to pass judgement, I am only offering up my personal experience. There are lighter 5 string banjo’s out there and if my memory serves me rightly the Stelling Afton Star is a lightweight model. A mere 9 pounds if anyone else is interested.

1 Like

Anybody who’s seen Eddie Adcock is familiar with this trick. Usually, he would sling that guitar around to his back, and walk up to the mounted banjo and do his thang,… finish up, and sling the guitar back around and take a break as he nods to himself.

eddiebanjostand

2 Likes

It’s time to rethink the banjo

2 Likes

That’s a great video! Thanks for posting that. So while you’re on the subject, what would you do to rethink the banjo?

My top three “improvements” include:

1. Rod and Reel attachments
  2. Cupholder
  3. Self-destruct button
2 Likes

I don’t know if anyone mentioned it, but open back banjos are really light. That’s what I travel with when I’m just going to be playing in my work apartment or a hotel room.

2 Likes

Rod and Reel attachment… What a great idea!
I would add cruise control.

2 Likes

Uhhmm, this all reads like something I would write, so I’m a little like, rolling my eyeballs and stuff right now. So, I’m gonna just gonna be succinct here.

Banjitars are an abomination. NO BANJITARS. Not havin’ it, no sir :nauseated_face::rage:

7 Likes

Waitaminute… I just found one I think we can live with ->

3 Likes

Seriously dude? An electric banjitar? With a vibrato lever thingy that I forgot the name of? And buttons and knobs? Why not add some gauges and foot pedals and stuff?

That’s just… argh… man, I can’t un-see that :confounded:

4 Likes

Check out this Pre - War Gibson Electric Tenor Banjo

3 Likes

Preach that thing @MissMaggie :rofl::joy::slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Can’t tell whether it’s a bigsby or not… frequently called a tremolo bar

2 Likes

It looks like somebody attacked the thing with a fork at a dinner party.

3 Likes

Here’s an example of Josh’s incredible Dobro playing:

Check out the triplets in the second Dobro solo!
3 Likes

You’ll be happy to know there is one less banjitar in Fla. I bought it and it is on its way here.:stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes