Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Blue Ridge Cabin Home Backup Challenge

Continuing the discussion from Discuss the Banjo lesson: How to Play Rolling Backup for Fiddle Tunes & More!:

I have a challenge for you. Watch this lesson and get familiar with the first couple licks, that’s all. Don’t overdo it: https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/boogie-woogie-backup-1st-edition-banjo

Then, take Blueridge Cabin Home on YouTube and slow it down and practice throwing those licks in, don’t forget to capo 3!: https://youtu.be/htxGouge9-g

Let me know your experience and I’ll address the roadblocks as you go.

13 Likes

Problems accessing this link @BanjoBen . Browser shuts down when I click on it!

1 Like

Here’s the link embedded:

4 Likes

So, I’m new to this site, are these ‘challenges’ something you’d like to see some kind of video submission for? Or should I just take this as a personal challenge?

Also, what would you do when you run out of frets on the F lick when capo’d for Bb? Seems like grabbing the F at the 10th fret should work, but doesn’t really sound quite right to me (haven’t put it to a backing track yet though).

2 Likes

Hi Brad, To answer your questions YES @BanjoBen would like to see a video and YES it is a personal challenge, not just for you but for all students. F Lick since everything moves up three frets you need to figure that one out. If you cant play it up the neck try playing it down.

1 Like

Both, I reckon. It always helps to aim for recording yourself. Even if you don’t submit it, I encourage everyone to record themselves!

Actually you can use it for Bb but you will have to use the very last fret. But in that instance I usually use another backup trick. This is part of the challenge, I reckon! Also I think that coming down low and playing an octave lower would sound ok though I don’t hear many folks doing that.

1 Like

Going to take a bit for me to get this down, but I’m definitely working on it and think it’s actually a pretty good challenge for my level. Thanks everyone for the ideas.

Was able to find a practice track I had of the song in G at 150 bpm and kind of kept up with it… just enough to convince myself that I can pull it off with some practice. Also working on the down the neck utility rolls at the same time to mix it up a bit.

2 Likes

Perfect, this challenge is doing its job :wink:

I’ll try to film a playalong with this soon, I haven’t done that in a while!

1 Like

Figure its worth giving an update to this every now and then since its going to be a while before I’m ready to record anything. I’ve worked on this (and some other down the neck backup rolls) every day and can tell I’m improving.
I’m sick of Blueridge Cabin Home (which for some reason I’ve never been particularly fond of), so I’m trying to apply the licks to other chord progressions in other tunes (which I assume is part of the point of the exercise).
This has got me trying to play some of the tunes I already know along with professional recordings, and boy… I thought I could play pretty fast, but these professionals are a step above. I can almost keep up my break to speed with the Three Pickers recording of Roll In My Sweet Baby’s Arms, but I’m close to breaking a sweat when the song’s done.

1 Like

Pretty silly to use that amount of energy on a song about laying around, not working, & taking it easy eh?

4 Likes

As you say these guys are professionals. They have already put in all the donkey work to reach their skill level. They didn’t have @BanjoBen to teach, challenge or encourage them. They learned it the hard way and I am guessing they never complained once along the way.

“Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do.” — Pele, Brazilian soccer player

“All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.” — Walt Disney, founder of Walt Disney World

Is this still a challenge??? :grin:

2 Likes