Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Blue Chip

If you’re a banjo player, you have patience! … Oh wait… I got that wrong! It’s the people around the banjo player that has patience! Sorry for my mistake!

I have a J.D. Crowe Blue Chip (Large) and a National (also large) and they both fit about the same. Honestly, I prefer the National for tone but the Blue Chip for comfort. I agree with Mark on how comfortable it is but I think the National sounds better. I play Dobro though and not banjo, so the sounds could be completely different. Those are my only two thumbpicks by the way.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

5 Likes

I also like the tone of the National very much, a voluminous tone, but the blue chip has a lighter, brighter tone, which sometimes just fits the banjo better … I’ll think about it. 70 $ is a lot … but thanks a lot you are really a big help!

2 Likes

In my opinion the BlueChip is well worth it. I prefer the Russ Carson over the J.D. Crowe model but they are both great :+1:

5 Likes

ok … i think the J.D Crowe is more similar to the national than russ carson … thanks for your contribution!

2 Likes

I have now chosen the J.D Crowe large! wait four more weeks and it will end up in my mailbox!:blush: thank you guys!

4 Likes

That’s interesting. I just got a Blue Chip for my dobro and I thought the tone was a big improvement, but I was going from a Dunlop not a National. I guess I comes down to preference.

2 Likes

Kevin, everyone has different preferences, that’s for sure… I just think it sounds kinda tinny and a definite loss in volume compared to my National.

Congrats on your new pick Severin! Let us know how you like it… BTW, what part of Switzerland are you in?

3 Likes

Thank you ! I live right on the border with Germany about 35 km north of Zurich…

1 Like

ok here goes…

When i started around 14 months ago i tried a load of different thumb picks and then bit the bullet and purchased a JD Crowe Medium. The other day at a Local Jam i forgot my picks and had to loan some from others and i just struggled with the size of all the ones i tried including a national/dunlop etc

I guess im just so used to the JD Blue Chip picks that i struggle playing and getting tone with any other

Thanks

3 Likes

So the blue chip has to be very comfortable … thanks

2 Likes

ProPik’s large is a lot larger than the BlueChips. On ProPiks, I can almost fit the band of a large around my knuckle on my thumb without any adjustment, but I use a large BlueChip.

5 Likes

i’m reassured … with de propik i played the lick challenge … but somehow the propik slips and flutters somehow … Of course it’s not just the thumbpick that is to blame for the not so well played song … :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Thank you Adam for your help !

2 Likes

Thanks a lot the blue chip has arrived! I have to say it is very comfortable. still i have a little problem. From the position of my hand, my thumb pick is always slightly oblique to the string, with the blue chip there is almost no sound when the thumb pick is not exactly on the string. I hope google translated it correctly …

1 Like

Question, I have big hands and specifically a large thumb, (1" x 3/4") would the large blue chip fit me? also my hands will continue to grow.
And 2 are the sammy shelor fingerpicks worth it?

Check out this video about the sizing of the thumbpicks:

I personally have found the Shelors to be well worth the cost. In my opinion, they’d still be worth their cost even if they were more expensive… they made so much of a difference in my playing. However, they may not be “the best” for you specifically. Everyone’s fingers and tone preferences are different.

1 Like

Does anyone have suggestions on shaping the Shelor picks so that they fit well? I have ruined one set already and I’d rather not ruin another set.

Mike

@Hillbilly_picker My thumb is bigger than yours by your measurement I was able to bend the band out so it would fit my thumb I think when I measured the circumference of my thumb it was just over 2inches I ordered a large but like I stated I had to bend the band out to get it on my thumb

1 Like

Hi Mike, If you mean the Shelor Finger picks then they are made of Stainless Steel which means the are much harder and less malleable than nickel plated mild steel. If you try to shape the lugs using pliers you are likely as not going to damage the metal.

If you can fashion a piece of hard timber to the thickness of your finger or get you hands on a jewelers ring gauge you can fashion the picks using a good rubber or leather mallet.

1 Like

I just wrapped tape around needlenose pliers. Worked well and didn’t scratch up the picks.

2 Likes

I believe Jake mentions that golden gate and bluechip tend to run similar if you got your hands on a golden gate large maybe that would help you out in sizing. Just my two cents worth. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like