Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Blue Chip

Is the blue chip thumbpick really the best? I play with a national … but would like to try a blue chip. the problem, there is only in the US … it already costs $ 40 and the delivery in Switzerland again about $ 28 or so … that’s a bit expensive … and if the size should be right. … :sweat_smile:

Thanks for your help…

4 Likes

Mine is the most comfortable I’ve ever played with, but I suppose it depends on what you consider “The best.” It definitely gives me a brighter tone than my Nationals do. Then again, I get nearly the same brightness out of a Herco Flex 52. I just don’t find those all that comfortable to wear. It feels like I’m not wearing a pick hardly at all.

6 Likes

They sound and feel great. They also last a LONG time compared to other thumbpicks in my experience. I have one that has been my primary thumbpick for (best Jake and I could figure) around 10 years. There is starting to be just a bit of a flat spot on the very tip and the front edge is probably worn down a bit thinner than a new one. Still the one I carry in my pocket and play with.

7 Likes

Thank you for your answers! it’s just a little crazy to fly a small package with a blue chip to Switzerland … Greta has no joy again :joy:
i use de national and dunlop in L. I need the blue chip in L?

2 Likes

No problem! Yeah. If you use large on both of those, you’d need a large.

4 Likes

Thank you Adam!

2 Likes

2 Likes

with this propic, however, the L is too big for me. and I find it not so comfortable …

2 Likes

Some needle nose pliers and some patience might be able to fix that. :wink:

3 Likes

haha yes I already had the pliers, but not the patience …:slight_smile:

3 Likes

As a Banjo Player you need patience @Severin . Shaping banjo picks does take a bit of time and practice. small adjustments and patience is all that’s required.

4 Likes

i know i still have a lot to learn … and patience is not my strength … but at least i had the patience to practice banjo alone for two years … and i hope it will come next two years …

4 Likes

It will trust me.

3 Likes

If you’re a banjo player, you have patience! … Oh wait… I got that wrong! It’s the people around the banjo player that has patience! Sorry for my mistake!

I have a J.D. Crowe Blue Chip (Large) and a National (also large) and they both fit about the same. Honestly, I prefer the National for tone but the Blue Chip for comfort. I agree with Mark on how comfortable it is but I think the National sounds better. I play Dobro though and not banjo, so the sounds could be completely different. Those are my only two thumbpicks by the way.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

5 Likes

I also like the tone of the National very much, a voluminous tone, but the blue chip has a lighter, brighter tone, which sometimes just fits the banjo better … I’ll think about it. 70 $ is a lot … but thanks a lot you are really a big help!

2 Likes

In my opinion the BlueChip is well worth it. I prefer the Russ Carson over the J.D. Crowe model but they are both great :+1:

5 Likes

ok … i think the J.D Crowe is more similar to the national than russ carson … thanks for your contribution!

2 Likes

I have now chosen the J.D Crowe large! wait four more weeks and it will end up in my mailbox!:blush: thank you guys!

4 Likes

That’s interesting. I just got a Blue Chip for my dobro and I thought the tone was a big improvement, but I was going from a Dunlop not a National. I guess I comes down to preference.

2 Likes

Kevin, everyone has different preferences, that’s for sure… I just think it sounds kinda tinny and a definite loss in volume compared to my National.

Congrats on your new pick Severin! Let us know how you like it… BTW, what part of Switzerland are you in?

3 Likes