Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Blackberry Blossom exercise

Thanks Harrison! That’s exactly why I created it. My speed on mandolin is seriously lacking because out of all the instruments I own, I pick up my mandolin the least. I figure I better put in some practice time before camp. This exercise has proven to be quite a work out.

5 Likes

For me, (other than the fiddle) mine is the guitar, even though I started learning that way before the others. My learning jumps around based on what I’m needed to play, and how many players of a certain instrument there are in a group. Right now, my little band consists of a bass and two guitars, so that shows you what I’m working on right now…

3 Likes

Great job there! If that’s the mandolin playing you say needs serious help, you have nothing to worry about:

It wont be you, it’ll probably be me :rofl::grimacing:! I’m glad you posted the video cuz I’m not able to do the tef files. Thanx for posting :+1:t2::grin:!!

4 Likes

Is there anything I can help you with on the TEF files? It would be much harder for me to learn new material without them.

Thanks for the encouragement!

5 Likes

This is the same way I worked out the same tune at first. It does make for a good exercise.

Later you can try alternating the up & down patterns on every 2 chords or each chord change if you want to take it further. It’s a toughy at first, but a good dexterity exercise.

Side note: the A part, done this way, is made up of what i call “circular licks” ()there is a real name for them, but can’t recall it) where you return to the beginning note. They are a very useful tool to as a concept to keep in mind when creating.

1 Like

Oh man, that’s a great idea! I’ll start working on that today. Thanks!

2 Likes

We just have a really old computer is all. My son (the banjo picker son) built it out of old parts that had been thrown away. It was just intended to get by for a short time, till I got my windows vista (lol, yes) laptop stable again. Life happened & it kept getting put off & here we are 2 years later & it’s still somewhat working, but im leery to load anything new on there… same with the laptop…
I can watch youtube vids (sometimes) but not Ben’s site vids - even set on the most granular of settings. If I wanna see Ben’s site vids, I use my phone. Thanx so much offering to help w Tef files though! :blush: Maybe at some point I’ll get to try em! For now I print the lesson tab & sometimes play w the mp3 files of the song. Occasionally I play a lesson vid on phone if I’m really stuck! I’m thankful for any time I get to pick , high tech or no tech :grin: it’s all good :+1:t2:!!

2 Likes

You could download TEFview on your phone:
https://www.tabledit.com/tefview/download.shtml

5 Likes

Vista? Blech! Man I haven’t seen that in years, and I’m an IT consultant.

I may be able to get you something a bit newer, Simone. Where do you live?

4 Likes

Thanx! Wasn’t aware of that!

2 Likes

Man, thanx!, truly appreciate that but dont worry about it. Banjo son has been after me (for 2 years!) to ditch the vista & let him build us an up to date one - with new parts & software etc. Im sure it wont be too long before that happens! I’ve fallen so far outta tech it’s not even funny… used to do vi programs & statistics reporting for Dow Jones, even some beta testing for ATT thru DJ. - lol I was the lucky one to get the very 1st windows computer at our DJ location. That’s a universe of time/tech away from what’s out there now! Thanx again! Smiling about the level of great folks in this community :blush:!

3 Likes

I like it! The thumb movement is good. I would love to see the the wrist move a bit more. DISCLOSURE: my wrist isn’t as free as it needs to be due to some bull riding injuries.

5 Likes

I’ll start working on that tonight. Many thanks!

1 Like

Great job Mark! I don’t think you’ll be the worst mandolin player at the camp; I might take that title. I had a mandolin that I messed with for years, but I never really learned to play it, so when I couldn’t get in for the banjo I decided to sign up for an open mandolin spot. Even so, I’m enjoying practicing the lessons on the site, and having an objective is always a motivator. Looking forward to the camp!

5 Likes

Yes sir, Steve! That ticking clock is really starting to put my gears in drive. See you at camp!

3 Likes

Just wanted to take a second to thank you for this advice, Ben. I’ve been relaxing more and focusing on playing with more wrist action. Not only does it feel more natural, I can tell a difference in tone and picking accuracy.

It’s amazing how one little change can make such a huge difference. Good eye, and thank you!!!

3 Likes

Thanks again for putting this out here @Mark_Rocka . I work on it everyday. It’s almost like a tongue-twister for me. Also, it forces me to keep my time because I have a tendency to speed up as I go along (well at least I realize getting faster when my fingers get tangled up and my hands get out of sync :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Glad to hear it, Stuart. It’s nice to know others are finding it useful.

1 Like

Is there a trick to opening the TEF file? Seems like my PC wont open it.:

1 Like

@swaltner Do you have TefView installed?

4 Likes