Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Black Friday sale: tuners?

Hey @BanjoBen, is one of the specials gonna be tuners? Cuz my snark doesn’t work anymore and I want to grab a couple of D’addario ns micro, but I’ll wait till the sale if there be one

3 Likes

You’re in luck, Gunnar! I just saw on Facebook that, today only, Ben’s having a sale on electronics of all kinds. Use the coupon code POWER20 at checkout for 20% off. I just tried it on 4 different tuners and it worked on all of them.

4 Likes

Thanks Mark, I just got that email, I’ll be ordering in just a minute

3 Likes

Those puppies are awesome. They have replaced my snarks.

3 Likes

I have a couple of them too. I like them, but they don’t seem to be as rugged as the Snarks. One of them just stopped working for no reason in particular.

4 Likes

I probably have had 4 or 5 (but have given away a couple of those). I have one that goes in the soundhole and the others are the clip on type. The one that goes in the soundhole broke. The plastic for the clip to the soundboard just broke. I probably whacked it with my pick too much. I wrote D’Addario and they sent me a new one. They said they don’t normally replace them after however long, but they hadn’t heard of one breaking like that, so he thought it might have had a manufacturing flaw.

I am tempted by the little Peterson clip on. I looked at the Peterson SP-1, thinking it might be good for stage (line out) use, but it doesn’t look like it mutes. Anyway, I am thinking the little clip on would be cool.

3 Likes

That’s different…Every Snark I’ve owned (many) broke fairly quickly. Most people I know had problems with them breaking also.
I haven’t seen or heard of a micro going bad yet, until just now.

goes to show “mileage may vary” …

3 Likes

Well, I’ve been using the ns micro on my fiddle for a while, and it’s great. I decided to order actually a few of them to replace my snarks; I wanted a tuner with no gooseneck, cuz they break easily, and I want to leave a tuner clipped on each headstock. One of my snarks’ ball and socket broke, and the other one just doesn’t get a reading without thumping it several times, so I’m just done with them

2 Likes

Good to know. Maybe I won’t be buying any more Snarks.

2 Likes

How do you think that makes Mr. Snark feel! Have you no heart?!?!

6 Likes

Maybe it’s Mr. Snark who has no heart for making tuners with goosenecks… :joy::joy:

6 Likes

I’ve never had a bad Snark. Always thought they were great tuners, especially for the price! I think I’ve had about 4 or 5 now. I have two and I’ve given away 2 or 3. You’re not supposed to use it for a hammer Gunnar! Ha!

4 Likes

You should know that Mr. Snark frequents this forum!

5 Likes

Oh I know. As the inventor of sarcasm, I am Mr. Snark. :joy:

What? That’s not what the instruction manual said…
To be clear, I’m not discouraging the purchase or use of snark tuners (unless you play a Gibson, which the instructions warn against) I’m just saying mine have not survived Africa very well, too much dust probably. And the one on my banjo works great

3 Likes

Maybe I just need to work on perfect pitch and forego tuners all together. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Looks like conversation string here is full of snarky remarks…

3 Likes

I own a few snarks, and I surprisingly have not broke one yet. I did 3D print a banjo mount for my Goodtime, and it broke in the socket of the tuner, and I’ve been to lazy to get a t out.

3 Likes

Well, now I feel like an idiot… last night I changed the battery on the one that wouldn’t give a reading, and suddenly it works great, it’s weird cuz usually the display gets dim before it stops working, this one still looked fairly bright. But it doesn’t matter, I’m still glad I ordered the ns micros cuz I want to leave one clipped on each instrument

Mr Snark (If he should read this) might consider a modification to strengthen the necks on his tuners. Several folks in my location have reported necks breaking. That’s why I bought one of those flat tuner mounts from your General Store stock @BanjoBen

I have used several different types of tuner over the years and I like the Snark and so far the neck has remained good especially now since I bought the flat tuner mount for the Snark and no longer use the peghead clip. I firmly believe it’s important to share honest feedback.

2 Likes

I second this recommendation