Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Billy Strings on Kimmel tonight?

As I believe Jimmy Kimmel is pre-recorded… Will Billy Strings debut tonight as scheduled, do you think?

4 Likes

You can write him and ask…He’s not hard to find

2 Likes

You mean Billy? Really?

3 Likes

He’s just a normal guy…spends lots of time on facebook… you could message him there or through whatever other website he has…

4 Likes

I don’t do (and refuse to do) Facebook… but will look up his site! Thx

3 Likes

I think Billy Strings grew up in my neck of the woods in Michigan, but I always wondered if “Billy Strings” is his real name or not? Seems like a perfect name for a ‘Meister’ of the Strings.

Trivia & Potential BB Clark Store Product:
The name “Billy Strings” also conjures up a potential trade-name for Fiddle Strings. For years, many folks thought that Fiddle strings were made out of actual Catgut, however Catgut is (and was) actually made from the walls of various animal intestines. Generally sheep or goat intestines are preferred, but occasionally other intestines are used, such as intestines from pigs and cows. That said, while selling a brand of strings called “Billy-Goat Strings” or “Billy Strings” might please some Cat-lovers out there, it would not please Fiddle players that happen to own pet Goats. :smile:

4 Likes

Billy is definitely NOT his real name @Deere_Crossing.

It is William Apostol… which probably explain how he - such a young player… Came to be known as Billy “Strings”.

Neil, do you like Michigan’s own Greensky Bluegrass?

Billy commonly performs at the Greensky Bluegrass Camp (he is scheduled this year too) in NW Michigan (L.P.):

4 Likes

Never been to that Gig, but driven by there many times. That’s just south of Traverse City where Billy Strings is from. Looking forward to visiting all of those Festivals once we move back to Michigan hopefully next year. Thanks for the info!

4 Likes

@Deere_Crossing - but do you like GSBG?

1 Like

I’ve listened to them a bit and like what I hear. They seem to be a tight-group and have a clean sound. They’re from Kalamazoo, Michigan. I grew up in Big Rapids, Michigan north of there. They are definitely easy to listen to!

1 Like

@Deere_Crossing,

This is a bit long… but check this tune out! One of my faves… Epic!

2 Likes

Billy is not from up by Traverse…he worked at a hotel and picked with some friends of mine up there for a little while though.

He is from Ionia, MI, between Lansing and Grand Rapids…

Ah…….OK. I’ve driven through Ionia a few times. Have some relatives buried there even. Our Farm is about 40-miles east of there near Owosso.