Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Bill Gallant from Indian Trail, North Carolina

What was it that first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
When I was a young kid, my parents used to watch Hee Haw every week. I remember how I just loved when String Bean and Grandpa Jones played the banjo- I didn’t care about the rest of the cast- just those 2 guys that played banjo! I have loved bluegrass and old time music since then.

How long have you been playing and what’s your motivation to play?
I finally started taking banjo lessons about 3 years ago although, I really wish I had started a long time ago when I first wanted one but, I am on my way now and love it so much!

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
All of the lessons on Ben’s site are amazing- quite a few are still a bit over my head! But of the ones that I have worked on, I have to say Fretboard Geography with Alan Munde has probably helped me the most. Understanding how the chords are formed and how to apply up and down the neck has really turned a lot of lights on in my head-awesome lessons!!

What’s your goal when playing?
I just want to continue to learn and get better. I want to get good enough, and feel confident enough in my playing, to play occasionally with my Church worship band. Also looking forward to joining some folks that just want to get together and pick every now and then!

How long have you been a Gold Pick member?
I was a member for a year or so, and dropped out, but came back a couple months ago.

How did you find out about Banjo Ben?
I found Banjo Ben’s website when I did an online search and it has been a favorite on my computer for a couple of years!

If money was no object, what would be your dream instrument(s)?
I would love to have an original pre-war Gibson banjo- I guess most banjo players want one of those too!

Anything else you’d like to add?
I would just like to encourage people to go ahead and pursue that interest that you have-whether its learning how to play a musical instrument, or whatever it is. Stop putting it off- do it now!! Learning to play the banjo has been (and continues to be) a huge challenge for me, but a huge blessing at the same time!

9 Likes

Welcome Bill! Congrats on being GPOTW! Hope to see you around the forum

Congrats Bill

1 Like

Congrats, Bill! Nice to “meet” you.

1 Like

Hi Bill, congrats on being GPOW ! Banjo is a favorite of mine also. So is guitar, mandolin and fiddle! Never know which one to practice on first. I learned on my roommates banjo (an Alvarez) when he wasn’t home many years ago. Its good to know another picker hoping for a pre-war Gibson. Until then, keep on pickin’ !!

1 Like

Thanks man, I appreciate it!

2 Likes

thank you Archie!

2 Likes

Thank you Mark, nice to meet you as well!

2 Likes

Bill, welcome to the conversations on the forum and congrats on being GPOTW. You and I have a lot in common with the early influence and interest in banjo being spawned by watching Hee-Haw as a kid. All the best in your musical adventures!

1 Like

Congrats Bill on your GPOTW…

1 Like

I loved your encouraging words at the end. They really helped me today!

1 Like