Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Bill Evans - Melodic Style Banjo W/shop - LIVE NOW!

Message from Bill Evans

LIVE NOW !!!

Hey banjo players! I hope you’ll join me this coming Saturday, May 2nd at Noon Mountain Time (2 p.m. Eastern Time, 11 a.m. Pacific) for “Understanding Melodic Style Bluegrass Banjo” right here on my personal Facebook page (Bill Evans).

Bill Keith, Bobby Thompson and other players began to develop techniques in the early 1960’s that enabled bluegrass banjo players to play scales but still hit a different string with each successive note played on the banjo. Melodic style is a powerful addition to your bluegrass banjo playing and enables you to play everything from fiddle tunes to J. S. Bach, not to mention a world of licks that you can add to spice up a Scruggs-style solo.

Designed for all levels of players, we’ll start from scratch to talk about how melodic style works. but there will be some advanced up the neck exercises for more experienced players too. We’ll play scales in a few different keys and play some great tunes. There are 9 tabs that we’ll be looking at during this session (including “Squirrel Hunters” in A without a capo) and my good friends at Peghead Nation have made these available for you to download now. Head to https://pegheadnation.com/…/join-bill-evans-facebook-live-…/

This workshop is free for everybody but your donations are very much appreciated. 25% of all donations will be passed along to the Freight & Salvage Coffeehouse, Berkeley, CA. You can make a donation via PayPal or credit card at https://www.billevansbanjo.com/donate.php. If you can’t catch this workshop live on Saturday, come back to my Facebook page to view at any time. Thanks for joining me.

I am a firm believer that you should try to study where possible as many banjo players/teachers and their styles of playing and teaching. This will in time make you a better banjo player.

If you are not familiar with Bill Evans this will give you a great opportunity to see how his teaching style differs from @BanjoBen 's style.

On a personal note I think both teachers are great, But if I had to choose one over the other. My first choice would be @BanjoBen

4 Likes