Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Beta testers needed / Play with my app! It's fun!

@dlm7507 Same with me. I typically practice daily with a metronome, but recently that has been replaced by using Mark’s app.

2 Likes

While working on an issue with the new banjo samples continuing to play on a STOP (!) measure this morning, I accidentally found a way around the scheduling problem. You’ll be happy to know that hitting pause stops playback immediately now, and resume picks up from the highlighted cell.

I’m thrilled about this, because it’s been bugging me for weeks.

2 Likes

This is a great tool for practicing. It has been interesting watching it grow. Thanks for making it available. I’m having fun tinkering with it.

1 Like

I just played around with it a bit more, and it is a lot nicer to have it pause promptly.
I did think of one other feature that would be nice (and may exist already but I couldn’t figure it out?), which is that it would be nice to have a way to start the playback from a selected point, instead of just at the start or from where it was paused.
Especially when you just want to test one line in a longer chord progression.

Already there. There are 2 ways to do that.

1 - Tap on the measure you want to start from and 2 tiny buttons appear in the measure. The top right button is Delete. The bottom right button is Play.

2 - Select a range of cells and then click the button to loop that range. This only works if you don’t want the song to go back to the beginning when it reaches the end of the selected range.

Glad to hear the new tweaks are working for you.

2 Likes

I’ve been using this app a lot the last few days, just jamming through the tunes. Quick question though, ,maybe the answer is on my end, not with the app because I’m definitely not a tech guy….

When I’m using the app on my IPad and playing a song for more than three or four minutes straight, my iPad screen will “time out” and go dark and this causes the app to stop playing. It seems like other apps I have used have either kept playing when the screen timed out, behind the black screen, or the screen wouldn’t time out when the app was playing. Any thoughts on this?

Like I said, maybe it can be fixed on my end in settings.

Thanks,

Chuck

This is a very good observation! I haven’t played along with it on my phone long enough to have discovered that on my own.

I believe there’s a way I can get around this, though it may require keeping your phone’s screen on. Some apps can keep playing when the screen goes dark because they have the capability of interfacing with the OS. This is just a web page, so it doesn’t have the same level of interaction, but I bet we can make it work one way or another.

I’m busy trying to crank out better quality audio samples (and more of them.) When I’m done with that, I’ll get this updated.

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for all you are doing with this!

1 Like

There is noSleep.js, but I haven’t used it and it might be a bit heavy handed (which may be what you want). I remember it being tried for an app in the past and we ultimately did not do that.

1 Like

It recommended exactly that for iOS 16 and prior. Apparently there’s something better these days, but I think it keeps the screen on, too.

Trying to get new samples recorded these past 3 days has been disappointing, but I think I finally got it figured out. I have to work today (stupid job!) but hopefully will get home in time to start the recording process all over again.

I’ve been editing a new version of the html file to test the new samples with. That’s why y’all haven’t seen any changes in the UI recently, although I feel like we’re getting really close to the final look and feel. I’m actually digging the color blind theme even though I’m not color blind. :grinning:

I hesitate to list domain names here, but there are so many to choose from that if someone wants to buy them all, they deserve them more than me.

I’d like to get your vote on which one of these domains you like most and why. Or if you have other ideas (that are currently available) let’s hear them. Please make sure they’re available, though. I’d say 90% of the ideas I’ve checked are not. You can check at GoDaddy.com

Buildabreakdown.com
Breakdownbuilder.com
Squarejams.com
Pickingpartner.com
Pickerspartner.com
Strumpartner.com
TapAJam.com
ClickAJam.com
Pickersgrove.com
Pickershollow.com
Pickershelper.com
Jamrambler.com
Handyjams.com

I really like TapAJam.com, but it turns out that was the name of a video game over 20 years ago. It’s still out there in obscure form, so I don’t know if it’s worth messing with.

3 Likes

PickingPartner is the catchiest, IMO!

2 Likes

I will second PickingPartner.

1 Like

MarksJammer.com has a certain ring to it

1 Like

MarksList.com :joy:

3 Likes

Major milestone this morning. (Waking up at 2:30am has its rewards.) I got user accounts set up. That means that once you create an account, you can save your own songs and they’ll be available on any device you use.

Give it a try and let me know how the account creation process goes. Make sure you use the new link below. The old one is a fall back now.

https://cqsys-ares.com/mark_sandbox/NewSampleTest.html

Still working on importing new samples, so the audio on this new page may still be a little wonky.

1 Like

I like jamrambler.com

As an alternative submission: Jamguru.com. I did check GoDaddy and it looks like the domain can be obtained.

1 Like

jamguru.com would be a great name, but it’s already taken. That Broker Service option you see on GoDaddy just means that someone owns it, and a broker will try to help you buy it from them. It doesn’t usually work out.

I’m pretty fond of jamrambler, myself. It ties in to the portability of the app. “Take it wherever you go.”

2 Likes

Just created an account no problem at all. Also, just as a note……I tried using a page turner pedal yesterday with the app. It allowed me to scroll down, but I wasn’t able to select a song or start and stop a song with the pedal. I thought it would be cool to use the app hands free. Maybe there is another pedal that would do it. I tried the Donner page turner.

2 Likes

Oh gosh. I hadn’t even considered that. Like… not even a thought.

Would you mind walking me through how you would like to use the page turner? For example, which buttons do you click and what would you like those buttons to do?