Maybe this helps show what I mean
Beta testers needed / Play with my app! It's fun!
Probably the best way to do that is by using the Arrangement feature.

Just toss the sections in as many times as you want them to play and click Done. Maybe something like this?
Ahhh, ok thanks. I appreciate it. I’ll give that a try.
@Mark_Rocka it sounds like you understand the volta (typically play a part with a repeat and the second time has a different measure or two to end it) and coda (go directly to ending passage) concepts as far as I know. I will try to take a look at the implementation tomorrow. Sorry I already have too much day in my day today.
Hi Mark, I am not an expert on this, but I remember something about this from band in 5th thru 9th grade. I also googled the terms to re-familiarize myself. I believe the users can handle this via the arrangement sections. For example, if a section has a 1st ending first time through, then a second ending second time thru, the user can have a 1st ending chord chart, and a 2nd ending chord chart (just like A an B sections of songs, or verse and chorus). Same with Coda (the ending, or outro) can have it’s own chord chart section. Then, the order of everything can be handled in the arrangement section. I might be off base and am mis-understanding the concepts or how your app works in this regard. Below are excerpts of descriptions I got from a google search.
Coda:
In popular music:
Many songs in rock and other genres of popular music have sections identifiable as codas. A coda in these genres is sometimes referred to as an outro, while in jazz, modern church music, and barbershop arranging it is commonly called a “tag”.
Volta:
Volta Brackets are used when a part, excerpt or passage of music is to be played two or more different times (repeats) but with two or more different endings. Volta Brackets can be used within the music or at the end of the music. Volta Brackets also use specific Bar Lines to clarify their purpose.
Thanks @Mike_R and @davidr1959. My gut tells me the app could probably get along just fine without the Volta / Coda features, but they were built for a very specific reason I’ll be announcing soon.
I appreciate the feedback.
Please note: all the feedback here might be because I am using the app “wrong”. I haven’t used the song editing at all since the early days.
The volta works as I expected. The coda isn’t jumping to the end section as I expected, however the song is repeating. For the arrangement, I had A part, B Part, A part, coda.
A minor issue I noticed was that when you start a new song, it says to click to add chords, but it isn’t in edit mode where you can add chords.
After I had made the test song, I went looking to see why the song was repeating instead of ending (with the coda). I lost the song. It might still be out there somewhere, but I couldn’t find it. If you are navigating away from a modified song it should prompt you to save before navigating away. Alternately it should internally save and always return to the song editing state (with the data as it was before leaving) after returning from navigating away.
I just tried this again and it did start in edit mode. I think it is maybe saving the state from the previous run.
I do love the metrognome
Oh man! That’s a major oversight on my part. I’ll get that fixed today! Thanks!
It should already do that. If you had saved the song, it wouldn’t prompt. The fasted way to find it is to go back to the song library and sort by recent. That song should be at the top of the list.
I’m sure you’re right, but like you said, if you’re starting a new song, it needs to start in Edit mode every time. It doesn’t make any sense not to.
It IS a great addition… and people instinctively get the gnome joke. I also got to thinking about how I have drum samples in there for the metronome, and how little effort it would be to put them in as usable instruments in songs. That will be for a later update.
As far as the Coda goes, it only works when the song isn’t infinitely looping. Try setting it to 1 or 2 and see if you get the behavior you expect.
Further info: it retains the mode (play or edit) from the last instance. If you were in play mode, it starts back up in play mode with the text to click on a chord to add it.
If you are navigating away from a modified song it should prompt you to save before navigating away.
I recreated it with the following steps:
- go to song library
- click on new song
- Make a song
- Click on tools (there is no warning)
- I am unaware how to navigate back to the edited song.
Oh snap! Every view disappears. Somehow I’ve never done those steps in that exact order. I’ll get that done today, too. Thanks again for the details!
@Mike_R, those 2 links visually look the same when viewed in the editor. They sure behave differently, though. I hope I got it worked out. Unfortunately, shared links can’t be edited, so I can’t look under the hood. Can you confirm if they’re working correctly now? Make sure to refresh your browser to grab the latest copy of JT.
Also in this update, new songs now default to the Edit view. Going to Tools or Games prompts the user to save their work like it would if they were going back to the library. Going back to the Share Link option no longer makes the Copy button look grayed out if you’ve already clicked on it.
Thanks again, Mike!
Ah, the arrangement. No wonder I couldn’t see it. I just saved it to my library to check things out (I forgot I could do that
)and in doing so, found another bug. It asked me to create a free account to be able to view it from other devices. So that bug is now also fixed.
Thanks for the help! We just squashed several bugs in one session.
Woot woot!




