Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Best steps to leaning mandolin as a second instrument

Way back when I started banjo, I “learned” some breaks from the Scruggs book and then years later, after bad habits were ingrained, I had to go back to learn the basics, rhythm, rolls, chords up and down the neck, keys, backup techniques, fill licks, some theory, etc. That wasn’t efficient at all.

As I’m starting mandolin, do you have recommendations on where to focus, like chording and strum patterns first, then scales and melodies, or keep them balanced? I’m using the lessons here on the site, so some chords, scales and song melodies, but there’s so much info and I want to be sure I’m keeping the big picture in mind.

3 Likes

I think the basic mandolin checklist is a great way to start. I started in on this and have enjoyed it. Coming over from the guitar, it made me realize that I would benefit from going back and working through the guitar checklist because of the bad habits that I picked up along the way. Otherwise you don’t have the foundation need to go forward.

5 Likes

Yes, like @Stoneman says, the beginner checklist is where to go! Welcome to a fun pursuit!

2 Likes

I just started working through the beginner checklist for mandolin a few weeks ago and it is definitely the way to go. Very detailed and thorough. It can be tempting to want to skip lessons on basics such as picking, slides, fingering notes, etc….but if you tough it thru, the rewards are great. My biggest challenge now is time management between my banjo practice and mandolin.

2 Likes

I am reteaching myself and fixing bad habits through the mandolin checklist and it has been excellent. I’m learning from day one through the guitar checklist and it has been great.

2 Likes