Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Best Applications

Thanks for that!

I guess my biggest question is, how does it sound for bluegrass backing? The videos I’ve found make it sound like it’s really designed for jazz, having a piano, drums, and bass to play with. Are there any acoustic guitar options? Not much piano and drums in bluegrass. :slight_smile:

Think again:

Paino, drums, and an organ and two electric guitars for good measure

1 Like

Hi Mark
The Bluegrass style is “Mandolin”, “Muted Mandolin” and Electric Bass :

BlackBerryBlossom_iRealPro

And it sounds like this :

A bit electronic, I know, but hey it’s better than the clicks of a metronome !

Erwin

1 Like

Very cool! I can see this coming in handy for practicing while I’m on the road. Thanks for taking the time to post all of that!

O yes, I also use a little app called “Interval Recognition”, almost on a daily basis, to train my ears to hear the distinct intervals… Costs almost next to nothing.

I use many of the same software tools as above including:

• MuseScore for notation FREE
  • Reaper for Multitrack audio Recording
  • Band in a Box for quick backing tracks for lessons
  • Tabledit for tablatures
  • https://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/ for pre-made backing tracks of popular guitar tunes (Mostly rock and pop) FREE
  • musictheory.net for teaching basic music theory skills and lessons (I got middle schoolers writing their own tunes with this program and a few extra lessons from me on melody writing. Also great for learning aural interval and chord recognition skills) FREE
  • https://toneway.com/songs for hundreds of bluegrass and old timey tunes with words. (Many songs include simple recordings of the song) FREE
  • Melodia (for teaching simple sight reading) the book is over 100 years old but still is the best (simplest) graded sight reading book available (exercises go from extremely easy to difficult so slowly that you don’t realize you are getting better quickly) FREE in PDF format

I’ve got much more, but that is a decent start. :wink:

5 Likes

Keep ‘me coming Mike - @DrGuitar1 !

All this feedback is just AWESOME.

Of course, all that play Banjo and appreciate the Wizardry of Mr. Scruggs’ masterful work will get his book.

I am looking for something like that for Mandolin… especially with the versatility and musical scope of the instrument… there must be something out there…

Oh… and is there a “super tuner” out there that people like? I have a Snark but I am not soooo impressed with it. Sometimes, it seems to barely picks up the “E” tone of my high Mando string. It seems to “hear” it as an “A”.

I was wondering if anyone has used the Wood Conditioner product on the site?

You know… I also have a built-in humidifier in my new home (to protect the wood floors) but I am worried with the dry heat months to come in the winter.

I have a Humidity conditioner Pack for my soft shell case… but I ask @jake - what is the proper humidity level to be “safe”?

Sierra hull has a dvd available on her website, that teaches the songs from her album, secrets.

This is something I’ve noticed it does, you just have to set you hand on the fifth interval string to mute it.

I’m fairly sure somewhere between 35% and 50% is safe but it’s always good to have a luthier’s opinion :joy:

Oh yeah, mandolin for dummies!

Awesome responses @K_G - THANKS for your input and all the specific answers for my points.

My intention was to open up ALL technology to ALL Forum participants… a “best tech practices” kind of approach… so thanks again for the direct responses.

1 Like

Your welcome. I’ll stop hogging now :blush:

Nope - I want all the info you (and everyone else) can offer!

I am (and other Forum members, I am sure… like @Maggie and her cut finger, for example) appreciative because it is based on direct personal experiences. Things tried… and worked… is powerful to share! Keep the ideas coming!

Back to Snark… is there another type or company that makes a “more accurate” tuner - even at a higher cost?

For the Mando Book, I was looking for something more… uh… with the instrument’s historical context too. Like “The Mandolin: A History” by Graham McDonald… although this seems less instructional and more Informational… a reading reference, if you will. I tried to put a link to Amazon’s page for this book using my iPhone - but could acquire the link as it didn’t show up in the Address Bar.

Or, I am too dumb to use this iPhone Technology properly… :smirk:

Oh, ok. I misunderstood your previous comment. I have no experience with tuners other than snark (with the exception of one similar cheaper tuner my dad had that made me break a string) so I can’t help there. As far as books, there’s a couple about bill Monroe that I’ve seen referenced on mandolin cafe. I’ll add a link in a minute.

That’s always a possibility, I have trouble too quite frequently (though I’m getting better) and I’m sure there’s several others here that have trouble too :thinking: :joy: :wink:

Here’s the link,
https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/content.php?491-New-in-Print-Bill-Monroe-The-Life-and-Music-of-the-Blue-Grass-Man

My current favorite is the Planet Waves NS Micro. It is similar to the snark, but a bit better in my experience. I just checked and Ben does carry them. This looks like the right one:

BTW, try shifting your snark’s position. Sometimes that helps picking up fundamental tones.

We live in a golden age for little tuner doo-dads. They have improved so much in the past few years.

1 Like

Responding to myself… you asked specifically for a “Super-Tuner.” I think that would be a Peterson clip on. For my money/needs, it did not seem worth it. They are nice, but for the cost of one of those, I have a fleet of micros parked on various instruments and laying around the house.

I think Ben got a Peterson at some point. Any feedback on it Ben?

I have thought about going old school and getting an older Peterson mechanical tuner (with the big hypno-wheel). Would just be kind of cool.

I’ll be honest. I had one of the more expensive Peterson clip-on tuners. I don’t remember a lot about what I didn’t like, but it did not last long. I found the cheap D’Addario or Snark to work just fine.

1 Like

It has to be a snark, otherwise how are you gonna use this fancy gadget?

Tru - Dat Rance!

My hallowback Epiphone MB-100 Banjo has extremely little bracket clearance. I am not sure it will work :thinking:.

I’d say it is time for an upgrade to a nice resonator Banjo - for no other reason than to fit the tuner, right? :grimacing:

Although that mount will sure look funny duck-taped to my Mandolin - :face_with_monocle: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

WillCoop,
This is not a different answer about your tuner question, but just wanted to let you know I tried a couple of different ones (including a Korg PC-1), but I LOVE the little tuner mentioned above (D’Addario-ns-pw-ct-12-micro). I bought it somewhere else before Ben added it to his store, but whenever I finally get a resonator-back banjo one day (hopefully from Ben), I’ll get the next tuner from Ben as well. It stays clamped on the head of my banjo at all times and does not get in the way or knocked of when I put the banjo in it’s case. See RED arrow in attached images.

Also have a nifty little fifth-string capo (also available in Ben’s store) and it stows away on a string when not in use. See BLUE arrow in attached images.
tuner%20fronttuner%20back

3 Likes