Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Ben's Toughest Lesson

So, of all of Ben’s lessons, which lesson do you find the most challenging, and why?

I would say mine is the guitar version “Are You Washed”. A barred F is tough enough, but a barred F7 with hammer on’s . Yikes!

Anyone else wish to opine?

8 Likes

Ha there’s a few for sure but the advanced version of Cherokee Shuffle is one for me.

7 Likes

Most of his early banjo lessons are too tough for me, compounded by the fact that he had yet to refine his teaching technique to include tab and jam tracks.

I’d say the toughest I’ve actually learned is Oh Come, All Ye Faithful on banjo.

6 Likes

So far I haven’t had too many problems, the old advanced version of salt creek is definitely the hardest one I’ve learned.

4 Likes

I agree with that one…original banjo solo for Cherokee Shuffle is tough! I can play most of it but had to punt and figure out something easier in a couple spots. Temperance Reel is another doozy.

6 Likes

Probably the hardest one relative to me would be a mandolin or guitar break, given that I’m not as proficient or comfortable on those instruments as I am on banjo. So far. the most advanced lesson I’ve accomplished would probably be either the advanced Salt Creek for banjo from 2009, or the advanced Old Joe Clark guitar break.

5 Likes

I too found “Are you washed” to be the toughest among the guitar lessons. Neil somehow nailed it though!

4 Likes

Many are now tough to me!!!

13 Likes

I look at it a bit differently maybe.

I’d consider “build-a-break” and “backup” type lessons more challenging than a straight written break that can be memorised and spit back out.

Learning a piece as written is a machine-like process that simply takes time & repetition.

When we have to make choices, on the fly, what to play where to fit our playing to the chord progression, our thought process reaches a whole new level…this is a huge jump in difficulty for some…

8 Likes

I would also say the finger style are you washed is extremely challenging.

3 Likes

i rather struggle with slow songs like away in a manger, or silent night … you need so much feeling, and the timing is extremely important. but also songs like shenandoah breakdown, where i have to struggle with the speed very much … i can’t do that in a few days like @Mark_Rocka :blush:

6 Likes

I too used to wonder how Ben manages to keep up with it! :slight_smile: When I say tough, I’m talking about achieving 70-80% of speed with some 90% accuracy, while Ben’s benchmark for himself ought to be 100% speed with 100% accuracy at all times!

3 Likes

I agree that making decisions on your own is by far the most challenging for me too…But…the advance version of Wildwood Flower is kicking my butt right now too. I struggle with C position and crosspicking.

3 Likes

I’m sure that 100% number is Ben’s goal, but if you’ve been to camp, you’ve probably heard him miss the mark. Did you happen to see his recent reply to Pete on relaxing while on stage? I can’t recommend it enough.

7 Likes

Hi All,

Just seen Mark’s @Mark_Rocka post which always gets me looking. Been a lot of helpful threads and Forums over the last few weeks and admit that @Rich with his wayfaring stranger performance has really made me alter so many things I have been doing, mainly stopping me practice my mistakes such that I am good at them :). Must thank my son for that one as well.

But what I have really learnt is that is just to put up and play. Somebody will want to hear it. Its a forgiving forum (Generally ;)).

8 Likes

This needs a special link, so we can watch it over and over, as needed…Which will be a lot.

5 Likes

I have never seen this his video before! Cool Ben speaks out from his heart! It happens all the time to me, but I can’t imagine happening to Ben that his finger don’t work at times in pressure situation. At the end he asks what we think. I would probably say this, “Be ye perfect, as your father in heaven is perfect!”, so as to not compromise on his goal. But to be able to achieve your goal, you deal with the problem that stops you from doing that. That is, to have a desire deep inside to not give room for pride, and take it to God, so that God can take out your pride. You thus become perfect in the pride area. (Now you can’t boast you got rid of pride with your own will power!) And this should enable you to do at your full capacity - perfect or near perfect - even in front of your home crowd. I’m always for excellency, and not for mediocrity!

Ben, I have a tip for you. I don’t know if you tried this before or not, if it works for you or not. Just look at your daughter and smile before you play in your church. You should be relaxed to perform at better capacity. Because there will be always people envious - “rightfully” or wrongfully - that will have bearing on your playing. :slight_smile:

Just some thoughts…

5 Likes

All of Ben’s lessons have some challenges to them. I’d agree with the Cherokee Shuffle one. I downloaded it the other day to listen in the TEF player, just so I could hear a tune that I’m familiar with and what Ben’s version would sound like.

The toughest lesson for me is that I’m pretty sure that I’ll be able to play Ben’s version eventually - with a lot of practice and hard work - however I now know that I will never be able to think creatively about the music the way Ben does.

I may be stretching things but when I listen to Ben’s version it has a really pleasing honky tonk piano like sound that is not limited to the melody alone. The melody is still in there, but the music Ben’s wrapped around it is beyond my abilities to to imagine or create on my own. So I kind of think that I’ve seen the limits of my own playing. That maybe I’ll be able to sound a little more like Ben but I’ll never be able to improvise like him.

I am happy enough to just get better and to hopefully play well. I should also be able to work with Ben’s licks and pick up some of what he’s doing, so I shouldn’t sound too bad in the end and will still be able to have a lot of fun with my own level of improvising.

It was just a little strange to realize that I’d seen the horizon for my own playing - there’s plenty of good territory for me to explore and enjoy. But it really is up to the next generation to see what may beyond that horizon. Don’t get me wrong, I never imagined I’d be a pioneer of the music, but until recently I hadn’t even guessed at how far away my playing was from being the genuine article.

I’m really happy with all the lessons that I’ve looked and and used so far and I am making good enough progress for me, which is what I’d hoped for when I subscribed. My bluegrass playing plateaued quite a few years ago, so it’s been really refreshing to have all this new material and the new creative approaches to playing for me to investigate. Ben’s lesson’s are attainable and concise - so you can achieve what he plays in his demos - if you keep trying.

There are lots of tough lessons here - I hope that I can learn from them.

5 Likes

Well I don’t know @BanjoBen well enough to speak for him, but I suspect what his real goal is is exactly what you said when you talked about learning some stuff from him and adding it to your own style of playing. It’s one thing to play the notes on the page just like him or anyone else, but the ability to really put your own feel into it is when the music and fun really happen. So I’m told at least haha. I always enjoy your insights!

7 Likes

So many times I’ve wondered. "How the heck did Ben come up with that? It reminds of all the relatively simple but perfect sounding fills that Paul McCartney could come up with on most any instrument. Yes, I consider Ben to be on that level from a creativity standpoint.

2 Likes