Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Ben Stevenson from Aurora, CO!

What was it that first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
I’ve always liked the sound of the banjo and the technicality that it takes to make it sound right.

How long have you been playing and what’s your motivation to play?
I’ve had my banjo for three years. It was my dad’s. When he passed away I asked my mom if I could have it. My dad and my aunt wanted to play a banjo-harmonica duet on the porch of our cabin in the Colorado mountains, but never got around to it. I told my aunt that I would learn the banjo so she and I could play for my dad.

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
I am still in the very early learning process, so I don’t have a favorite yet.

What’s your goal when playing?
My goal is to get good enough to play a song that actually sounds like a song. My daughter also plays the violin and I would love to be able to play with her.

Are there any other instruments or genres of music that you enjoy playing?
I played trumpet in high school, but never a string instrument. I enjoy country, bluegrass and rock music styles.

How long have you been a Gold Pick member?
I have been a Gold Pick member for three years.

If you could play in anyone’s band, who would it be and why?
I would love to play with Brad Paisley. He is an extremely talented musician and his faith in God is inspiring.

If money was no object, what would be your dream instrument(s)?
My dream instrument would be that my fingers worked as fast as my eyes on the sheet music.

If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
I don’t sleep much anyway, but if I could, I would work in my garage. I enjoy wood working, welding and working on old vehicles.

Anything else you’d like to add?
Right now, I wish I had more time to practice playing the banjo. Since it was my dads banjo, it sat for a year before I would even touch it, for emotional reasons. He absolutely loved playing and he loved the conversations that he and Banjo Ben would have.

How did you find out about Banjo Ben?
My dad found him online and learned so much from him. I hope that I can become a proficient banjo player soon.

Thanks for letting us feature you Ben!

18 Likes

Nice to meet you Ben.

That is a special banjo and I bet that significance will make each victory on the learning that much sweeter.

8 Likes

I love the story about your Dad’s banjo and your pledge to learn to play with your Aunt. You’re a second generation Banjo Ben student!

9 Likes

Congrats on being the gpotw! That’s a fine-lookin’ banjo you got there, and I love the story that goes with it. I enjoyed reading your interview and wishing you all the best on your musical goals. :grinning:

7 Likes

Go Man. That will be so sweet when your Dad looks down in pride and hears your playing and says to God, “That’s my Son!” :wink:

7 Likes

What kind os banjo was it

1 Like

It is a Deering.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the posts. I’m really looking forward to getting to know the banjo and get playing. I’m excited about learning it.

3 Likes

hey @AGoodMan Good to see you here. May your learning journey be filled with happiness and joy,

1 Like

Welcome and congrats! I enjoyed reading your bio, and hope to see you around the forum!

1 Like