Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Beginner practice session

Howdy! Brand new to the world of Banjo and the Banjo Ben family. Just want to reach out and introduce myself and get to know some of you. I’ve been playin for about a month and it’s a bit of a struggle but I love it. When your just gettin yer feats wet about how long should I make my practice sessions? Any suggestions?

14 Likes

Welcome to BBC Jon! I would say play as long as you’re having fun, and you’re not in pain.

6 Likes

Welcome @jon1 !!! Glad to hear your continued success!! My cousin plays harmonica. He played with the Harmonicats for a while.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum Jon!

I’ll echo what @D_HRRFan7303 (Harrison) said.

Myself, being retired, I find I have the best luck leqarning when i pick up my instruments several times a day for short sessions.

It’s not so much “how long” a practice is, as it is how productive the seesions are.

5 Likes

Hi @jon1 Welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum A great question

I think it is all down to personal choice and what free time we have to study as well as practice.

I emphasis the word study because with out study there would be little to practice. I would say at least two hours a day, more if you can manage.

Work on learning the fundamentals. i.e. Work your way through Ben’s beginner’s learning track. That could take you a year or two. Don’t be tempted to rush through these lessons, work at your own pace, make sure you understand what is being taught, don’t be afraid to ask questions. Lastly don’t be tempted to skip through these lessons. Everything that is taught in this section is a prerequisite for what follows in the Intermediate and Advanced sections.

5 Likes

Any time you spend with the instrument is valuable. I’d recommend 5 to 15 minutes at least twice a day if you’re busy, or up to an hour several times daily if you have no life. Just as long as you’re not bored or hurting yourself keep going. When you get bored, or your hands hurt then take a break

6 Likes

Welcome @jon1!

1 Like

Hi Jon,

Welcome to the BanjoBen forum, we hope to hear more from you. I think you’ll find this a very supportive group and a wonderful place for beginners.

You’re probably going to get a wide variety of answers here. It all comes down to how much time you have available and your goals. I’m retired and play when I want which means I practice between one and two hours a day, not necessarily in one sitting. I sit down with an an idea of some technique or tune I would like to get a little better at that day and I usually practice until I see or hear some progress. Even just a little progress each day is my goal.

I hope you have checked out Ben’s Beginner track of lessons, they are an awesome start.

5 Likes

Howdy to have you, @jon1! I think as long as you can stand it in the beginning, and I mean that in a good way as it should be fun (even though some things can be frustrating!).

4 Likes

Welcome @jon1. I’m really new to music but I can tell you there are some really good folks on this forum for learning music. I really don’t do set practice blocks but I do play my mandolin and fiddle every day just some days more than others (sorry haven’t picked up banjo…YET). Good luck, this is a great online community!

2 Likes

@jon1,

Welcome and thanks for your post!

1 Like

Hey Jon! That means play as long as you are happy. There are days when it doesn’t work, then let it be. There are days when things go well, then play as long as you have time and desire. Another Tip: Don’t tidy up the banjo, I just leave it on the bed for a while, and every time I listen to it I pack it again … :slight_smile: I’ve been playing for more than two Years, never had a teacher, learn everything yourself via YT videos. The learning process never Stops … Have fun with your Banjo!

2 Likes

Thank’s for the great advice! I’m a gluten for punishment so I keep bangin away and can’t get enough and can see and hear improvements already and that’s a good thing.

2 Likes

That’s impressive! I don’t have any accolades like that but alway’s loved the Harp, It’s been a good friend through a lot of hard time’s Life’s been a ride and wouldn’t change any off it! Thank you for the thought’s.

2 Likes

Hi! I have checked them out and they are great, Thank you for your advice it’s all good stuff. I myself like to say I’m practicing at retirement! Gonna stick it out for a few more year’s ( Till all the politic’s of the job get to be to much. You know what I mean?) but for now I’m just keepin on and keep smilelin!! :wink: Thank you for the responce, and hope to talk again

2 Likes

Thank you! Very wise advice and I am doing just that, I practice for a bit then I listen and study for a wile then pick it up and try what Iv’e been lookin at to see how she goes! Resellin back and forth like that keeps me outa trouble!!! :slight_smile: I am making progress and slow and steady win’s the race!!!

2 Likes

Thank you for the word’s of wisdom! Look’s like I’m on track then. What you said is about the way I have been approaching the whole thing, I practice and study till I’m tired then do sumthin else till the Itch comes back then I giver another scratch!!! :wink: that seem’s to work for now till I get itchy again :smile:

1 Like

Set goals. I’d start with at least 30 minutes twice a day for the first week or so until your fingers get toughened up, then increase until you’re at an hour a session. Always practice with a metronome, and always have a goal in mind for each session. As has been mentioned, the basics are so important. Remember: You practice = You get better. That’s the formula. Good luck.

3 Likes